Portland, OR

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xraig

Reaction score
long time reader, first time post.

Whats up HBT? Thanks for all the primo information about home brewing. Everyone here really made it a breeze to move from extract->partial->AG within a matter of a few backyard brew sessions.

My current set up includes 3x SS Sanke Keggles (HBT, MLT, BK) arranged in a 2-tier sculpture utilizing gravity for fly sparging and a march pump for other fluid transfers. I'm a SS snob, currently moving all my parts to SS (everything but the copper dip tubes ATM)

Being for Pacific NW, I'm a self proclaimed hop head (love me some IIPA's, centennial is my go-to bud) and don't have enough time to check out the plethora of pubs, micros, and small craft brews that come out locally. My favorite local jams (at the moment) are the HUB's Cross Town Pale and Ninkasi's Imperiale Stout.

I'm a chemist by day but spend most my free time brewing and buying unnecessary brewing gadgets. I have a few projects in the works, money permitting, which include a 3 tap keezer build w/ collar and LOVE control, a small temp controlled fermentation chamber, and (so close) to a HERMS overhaul. I'd love to switch away from gas and toward electric but that is a while away at this point.

Anyways, LETS BREW

About that temp controlled fermentation chamber. My "down and dirty" solution is: An old refrigerator, a 15 watt incandescent light bulb, a household thermostat. Done

I like it, much easier than some of the builds I have been looking at.

How's brew life in Oregon City? Any local clubs or LHBS, in Oregon City proper I might be unaware of? The closest I know of is Lets Brew over in deep NE. I myself live a hop, skip, and a jump away from you in the Mt Tabor area.

Ever attended any Steinbart brew club meetings?

I like it, much easier than some of the builds I have been looking at.

How's brew life in Oregon City? Any local clubs or LHBS, in Oregon City proper I might be unaware of? The closest I know of is Lets Brew over in deep NE. I myself live a hop, skip, and a jump away from you in the Mt Tabor area.

Ever attended any Steinbart brew club meetings?
No to the brew clubs so far, I am pretty new to this game. Just started my third batch yesterday. First one was an IPA (pretty good) the second is a Drop Top clone bottled Friday and is not ready yet and last night was a Irish Red Ale that is looking awfully dark.

As to the fermentation chamber, revise that to two 15 watt bulbs in case one burns out.

hello there neighbor!
i'm between you guys in Clackamas :)
There are plenty of LHBS around portland
there is...
NE portland - lets brew (the lady in there is always seemingly put out when i ask a question, so i've stopped going back there)

SE portland - FH Steinbarts, great place, sometimes spendy. But they know their stuff pretty well.

Oregon city - Bridgeview beer and wine supply, haven't been yet, however, they've been open since 1994, so i'm pretty sure they know their stuff!

Outer SE - Portland U Brew and pub, by FAR my favorite place! they have a pub of their beer around the corner through the shop, the cheapest stuff in town mostly (got a pound of simcoe for $20) and they have the supportland card stuff, so if you spend $35 or more 7-8 times, you get a free carboy, staff is really knowledgeable as well, the brewmaster has worked with multiple breweries through the NW too.

Hillsboro - BrewBrothers, great little spot, went there once to help a friend get a kit.

Hillsboro/SW - Mainstreet ( i think it's called) haven't been, but they're pretty cheap as well.

there are more, my brain isn't wanting to work though...
as for pubs, Portland u brew and pub has some great beers, another spot you'll have to check out is Columbia river brewing company... their whole brewery is on a lower floor, but it's surrounded by glass, so you can check out the whole brewing process.

photos

been brewing for about 1 1/2 years, no club though, wouldn't mind getting into one! no one wants to help brew :( lol

Second main street homebrew in Hillsboro. Good prices and Kevin really knows his stuff - both beer and wine making. Apparently they've opened up a second store/warehouse closer to sylvan. Haven't been, but word on the street is they've started doing beer tastings. . . :rockin:

welcome xraig :)

Yep! that one.

With the bulk, http://www.portlandubrewandpub.com/, you can buy a 50lb sack of grain, they will keep your name in the PC and whenever you go into the store, You get fresh grain and they minus it off of the 50lb instead of keeping that 50lb sack around for awhile.

Hey xraig,
Did you ever get your herms going? I live out east of town and have started collecting the parts for a single tier system. I'm thinking of going the herms route and was looking to see if there was anyone in the area with one I could take a look at, possibly in action.

Thanks, BrewJ

That is some nuts timing BBrewJ. After purchasing a few 50' coils from mcmaster and failing miserably I ended up with essentially two loosely coiled kinky paper weights. It ended up crushing my diy spirit for this project and ended up purchasing a 50' 1/2"OD 10"diameter coil from stainlessbrewing.com. it arrived early this week and is phuking flawless to say the least. Peep the photos below. Still haven't had time to give it test whirl myself.

IMG_20121129_192838.jpg

Latest posts

Back