Portland Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Safa

Reaction score
Hi guys, need some help.

I'll be staying at the Portland city center Marriott this whole week, and while my days will be far from exciting, I really want to get out and taste some great beer at night!

I've never been anywhere near the west coast, so hit me up with your favourite bars/pubs etc, and please give me a heads up on beers that I absolutely cant miss!

Go to the concierge desk and they should have a map of all the breweries & brew pubs in the area.
Also get the app Find Craft Brew. It will be a great help.
I hit Hair of the Dog, Deschutes, & quite a few more in my last visit.

+1 hair of the dog
Hopworks
Lompac
Amnesia
Lucky Lab
Upright
Laurelwood
Breakside
Ill stop now as this list could get extensive.

Thanks guys.

This summer I was up in NH and I knew that if I didn't achieve anything else, I HAD to get my hands on some heady topper. Is there anything exclusive and wonderful like that in the region? (Any style of course!)

Upright has many worth cellaring. Do you get Deschutes abyss in GA, get some! Try Boneyard RPM while you are here, anything boneyard....they don't bottle. Anything Pfiem, lodgsdon farms. Pelican, mother of all storms. Apothecary brewery. Im a big fan Of 'Terminal Gravity' which is off the radar. Check out Horse Brass Pub and Belmont Station for taphouses with local features.

I agree, hit up the Gasthaus Pub at Widmer. I went there a couple weekends back and split a flight with swmbo. Ive had a hard time getting her to try new beers until then.

Upright has many worth cellaring. Do you get Deschutes abyss in GA, get some! Try Boneyard RPM while you are here, anything boneyard....they don't bottle. Anything Pfiem, lodgsdon farms. Pelican, mother of all storms. Apothecary brewery. Im a big fan Of 'Terminal Gravity' which is off the radar. Check out Horse Brass Pub and Belmont Station for taphouses with local features.

+1 for Boneyard. Especially their RPM - that stuff is really damn good!

If your into sours, check out Cascade Barrel House.

Apex is a nice beer bar. Cash only. They are sticklers about using the correct glass for the style. The servers seem to know their stuff.

Sasquatch is a newer brewery thats been around for a year or so. Moby Dick is a nice Double IPA. They also have a few good ciders. Their fried chicken and gravy is awesome.

There are 51 breweries within the Portland city limits, many more in the suburbs.
Here's another thread with lots of information:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f186/breweries-visit-while-portland-381885/

Widmer is good, but has pretty wide distribution. Better to hit some places not available outside the area. The Commons is awesome, doesn't make a bad beer. Hopworks, Laurelwood, and Breakside aren't widely available. Upright distributes some, but makes awesome beers (mostly with Wyeast 3711), Deschutes has tons of one-off beers at their Portland brewpub that never get bottled or distributed outside the pub, The Abyss is great but gets lots of distribution. Logsdon (in Hood River) is distributed some on the West Coast at least, but makes great Saisons and is owned by the former owner of Wyeast. Pfriem is in Hood River too, but makes great Belgian style beers that get taps in Portland. Cascade Barrel House has about a dozen sour beers on tap at all times and is awesome.
Enjoy your visit.

Thanks for the help guys!

Just for future reference, the most suggested places in both threads are in order here from most to least:

Green Dragon
Breakside
Hopworks
Upright
Laurelwood
Horesebrass
Cascade
Deschutes
Belmont Station
Burnside
Commons
Widmer
Hair of the Dog
Amnesia
Lucky Labrador
Baily's Taproom

Definitely go anywhere that sells Boneyard. Then go to Rogue, Bridgeport, and Lompoc.

HAIR OF THE DOG- best beer I had on my NW trip. Their Adam and Fred are great, and in house normally have those in some kind of barrel aged variety

Cascade Barrel house if you like sours.

Here is the correct ;) list of places to visit:

Breweries:

Cascade Barrel House
The Commons
Hair Of The Dog
Upright
Pints

Beer Bars/Bottle Shops:

Prost! (all German beers with the glassware from that brewery, awesome place)
Green Dragon
Belmont Station
Bailey's Taproom
Bridgetown Beerhouse

:mug:

my friends just opened up a tap room a bottle shop - http://imperialbottleshop.com/

you can get anything they have on tap to go in a 1L bottle or a growler and they have a pretty large bottle selection as well

Tell your friends to fix their website and post their taplist online. That's why I haven't been there yet. If I knew what they had on tap I would visit. With tons of other places with great, deep, taplists I don't want to waste my time with a place with who knows what on tap. I'll keep them in business like I do Belmont Station, Horse Brass, and Apex when I know what they have on tap. :mug:

Tell your friends to fix their website and post their taplist online. That's why I haven't been there yet. If I knew what they had on tap I would visit. With tons of other places with great, deep, taplists I don't want to waste my time with a place with who knows what on tap. I'll keep them in business like I do Belmont Station, Horse Brass, and Apex when I know what they have on tap. :mug:

the website taplist matches what was tweeted yesterday afternoon, what issue are you having?

Entire taplist page on their website you posted a link to is just blanks, I've checked it dozens of times from both home computer and phone with no success. Just a bunch of white blanks all across the page, with their logo in the upper left. Facebook page no taplist either. I hope they get it worked out.

Entire taplist page on their website you posted a link to is just blanks, I've checked it dozens of times from both home computer and phone with no success. Just a bunch of white blanks all across the page, with their logo in the upper left. Facebook page no taplist either. I hope they get it worked out.

Weird it always has and it currently does display for me

ForumRunner_20130917_233707.png

Back