Portion of my wort acting like a starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ravenshead

Reaction score
Here's the story:

I brewed a porter with an OG in the mid to high 60s. I wound up up with just under 7 gallons instead of the expected 5.5. There's a long story about how that happened but it doesn't really matter, suffice to say I have more wort than one carboy can hold. I put about 6 gallons in my 6.5 gallon carboy with a blow-off tube and pitched a pack of SA-04. The remaining gallon or so went into an apple juice jug along with some washed SA-05 I had in the fridge. Both yeasts were pitched around 3:00 yesterday afternoon.

The main carboy is still at high kraisen and blowing out the tube as we speak. The gallon jug however looks like a starter does the day after you start it-a small kraisen residue ring on the side of the container and a nice layer of yeast on the bottom. All other signs of fermentation were absent and the SG was still around 60. It's a great looking stater but I wanted it to be beer.

Does anyone know why the small portion is acting so differently?

Also, I was too lazy to go get more yeast so I re-routed my blow-off tube to the small carboy to try to get the fermentation going again. We'll see how well that works.

If the small one is fermented out, then it's almost definitely the differing pitch rates vs available sugars.

How old was your washed yeast? Might take a minute to perk back up. Tossing in some yeast from the blow off shouldn't hurt as long as sanitation doesn't fall to the wayside. I'm sure it will ferment eventually.

The yeast was around 4 months old. I don't think it fermented out so much as it just replicated itself and them went to sleep. I started with about a 1/2 in. layer in a pint mason jar and had a full inch layer in the bottom of a gallon jug this morning. I wish my starters would do that when I'm trying.

I'm just curious if there is some difference other than batch size that causes a wort to behave like a starter rather than a full fermentation.

Latest posts

Back