Porter + What = Crazy Delicious Christmas Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bboyeruga

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Okay, so I have a mini-mash Anniversary Porter kit from AHS and want to kick it up for a christmas tasting ale. I would like to capture the flavors of the season while keeping the porter drinkable.

I have a number of spices, Madagascar bourbon vanilla beans, local honey, ginger, etc.

I'm open to any suggestions.

Look for clone recipes of holiday beers you know.

I got some inspiration for my holiday beer from a clone recipe for '95 Anchor Christmas; I knew I had to keep my spices a lot more tame than what went into Stone's 12.12.12 Vertical Epic, which was more like liquified fruit cake than beer.

I've heard that nutmeg, in spite of being a very traditional "holiday spice," is a little astringent for beer, but I didn't end up brewing with it anyway, so, I don't speak from experience, there.

I liked Leinenkugel's Snowdrift Vanilla Porter. The vanilla you have would be a great addition imo. Sometimes simpler is better.

Amazon recently had a sale on Madagascar Bourbon Vanilla beans and I bought 4 packs of 5. I'm planning on brewing this beer next weekend, so I'm going to infuse several ounces of bourbon with the beans (split down the middle) and add them to the primary after fermentation has subsided. Should make for a treat.

I think they will. Kinda the same way I'm thinking of using the duplicate bag of grains from the PM Traditional stout kit that just came in today from midwest to brew a bourbon milk stout.

Well,I changed my mind. I'm going to use the duplicate grains with other things added/adjusted in BS2 to make a robust porter with vanilla. I named it Snowbound Porter,since it'll be for Thanksgiving or Christmas.

Latest posts

Back