Porter No.2

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShackNasty

Reaction score
I am preparing to brew an experiment batch of 1 gal. really just to see how this would turn out. Well I also wanted to attempt a dark beer using Light DME as the base.

1.3 lbs Light DME
-------------------------
4.0oz Chocolate (250L)
3.2oz Biscuit (24.5L)
1.6oz Flaked Barley
1.0oz De-bittered Black
0.1oz Nugget (9-11% AA)
0.2oz Centennial (9-12% AA)
0.2oz Cascade (4.5 - 7% AA)
WLP007 with a 500mL starter (24hrs)

My thought process on the specialty grains was to get it REAL dark (hence de-bittered black), but get that mild flavor from the chocolate. Is this necessary to use both and maintain a REAL dark beer? Flaked barley I like to use for body/head retention. I have never used Biscuit, and want to know what it tastes like... again this is kind of an experiment batch for a relatively new brewer.

Ideas and opinions are much appreciated.

Biscuit and flaked barley need to be mashed to get anything from them.

Black and chocolate are different. The black will contribute roastiness. I prefer to leave it out since I don't care for it. It should get plenty dark from the chocolate.

I'd probably throw in some dark crystal, or even special B for some added complexity.

When are you adding the hops. If the nugget is the bittering, I think it will be low, and you should increase it.

Whoops!!!! Forgot hop times !
It will be:
60min
15min
2min

Should I double the bittering?
What if I am just using the flaked barley for body, and am not using for any source of fermentables ? Do I still need to mash?

Thanks for the reply.

After some research on mashing I think I have answered my own question. So it looks like this batch will be my first attempt at a partial mash. Haha.

You have a 1.060 beer, and the nugget will only get you 19 IBUs (varies with calculators). I would say you need twice that.

You may want to add 4 to 6 ozs of 2-row for the enzymes. With mashing you will get a lot more out of the Chocolate too since it has a lot of starches that can be converted.

Just a caution, mashing only a pound is difficult. It is hard to maintain the temperature due to the small volume. You might find it easier to replace the DME with 2 lbs of 2-row and do an all-grain. 3 lbs of grains is a lot easier to work with in a small mash than 1 lb.

If you go for a full mash, I recommend taking a sample and measuring the gravity before/while boiling, to see how much you have extracted to see if you need to add any extract to get to your recipe OG.

Latest posts

Back