Porter is very sweet

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tmains

Reaction score
I recently brewed up an American Robust Porter. A Jamil recipe.

This one: http://beerdujour.com/Recipes/Jamil/JamilsRobust_Porter_Extract.html

Anyway, it's been bottled for around 2 weeks now, carbonation is coming along. I thought I'd test one out just for kicks. Doesn't taste bad. But it lacks that backbone I love in porters, instead it is filled with this sweet syrupy (not in a bad way) flavor.

My thoughts are that the yeast didn't eat up all the fermentable sugars. Could that be? It was one of those sessions where I was indulging in homebrew and forgot to take grav readings.

Thoughts?

I wouldn't expect the amount of priming sugar added to your batch to carb it would be enough to make it sweet and syrupy. I could be thinking about that differently than what you mean though. Is it possible it's under attenuated?

Don't porters take awhile to bottle condition? Without taking gravity readings there really is no way to know if fermentation was finished or how much sugar is left in the beer.

I wouldn't expect the amount of priming sugar added to your batch to carb it would be enough to make it sweet and syrupy. I could be thinking about that differently than what you mean though. Is it possible it's under attenuated?

Priming sugar added was the standard amount for 5 gallons. I was referring to the fermentable sugars from the grain. (extract in my case) I think I'll give it another few weeks, but if it's still sweet at that point, perhaps I could dump it all in the fermenter and repitch some yeast?

tmains said:
Priming sugar added was the standard amount for 5 gallons. I was referring to the fermentable sugars from the grain. (extract in my case) I think I'll give it another few weeks, but if it's still sweet at that point, perhaps I could dump it all in the fermenter and repitch some yeast?

I suggest you read some stickies at the top of the beginner forum and the extract forum.
At a minimum, you need a hydrometer. Take a reading from one of your bottled beers and let us know.

I suggest you read some stickies at the top of the beginner forum and the extract forum.
At a minimum, you need a hydrometer. Take a reading from one of your bottled beers and let us know.

I don't think I need to read any stickies in the beginner forum thanks.
Anyway, I have and use my hydrometer and usually brew all grain. This batch was a quick extract batch. As I said earlier, I was drinking homebrew and forgot to take a grav reading. I'm not asking for help, just thoughts on why it tastes so sweet.
I think it's because I didn't wait for fermentation to complete, that or it got stuck. I'm sure if I took a grav reading now it would be high. I'll probably wind up re pitching the yeast after dumping it into the fermenter.

Thanks

Back