Porter help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cjbalough

Reaction score
I have the label peelers imperial porter kit but want to play it down a bit -- I'm afraid of the 2oz warrior hopping and heavy grain bill being too over the top for my tastes..... So how does this look?

6.6 lbs breiss porter lme+

.5lbs crystal 120
.25 lbs debittered black
.25 lbs chocolate
.5 lbs carapils
.5 lbs 2 row

1 oz warrior @ 60 min
.5 oz Willamette @ 20 min
.5 oz Willamette @ 10 min

Kit Yeast is S-33

Basically this is the kit made with 1/2 the steeping grains, 1/2 the hops (90 min hops slid to 60 min), and 2 of 3 cans of LME.

that would be closer to a brown ale in terms of the roast profile even if the color is in the porter range. i am guessing here but that's what i would expect from those malts.

i'd go at least .75lb choc and use regular black malt. i'm pretty sensitive to black malt but the 4oz or so here would add the perfect dry finish to the profile without turning this to ash/tar.

1) The LME already has Chocolate in it do I need that much more?
LME is 8% victory, 5% Crystal 80, 4% chocolate, and 2% carapils.

2) since I'm working with the included (and mixed) grains it has the de-bittered black in it already. should I add a touch of regular black or leave it as it is?

running it (as posted above) in brewers friend I get 32.5 srm and 51 ibu.

Sounds good to me but the 2 row won't do anything for you unless you mash it. Also I'd ditch the carapils. And maybe replace those 4oz with that much more chocolate.

A suggestion for the future, try using light/golden extract as the base and deriving all of your color and flavor from the steeped specialty malts. Gives you more control over components and, in my opinion, a fresher (is that a word?), bolder (in a good way), and cleaner flavor.

Oh I just reread that and saw your grains are already mixed together. Nevermind the grain replacement suggestion.

Oh I just reread that and saw your grains are already mixed together. Nevermind the grain replacement suggestion.

Thanks. The carapils I was tossing in just because I have them....before realizing the lme already had some, but everything else is the kit.

Latest posts

Back