Porter anyone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeSpartaNJ

Reaction score
Anyone have a real good porter recipe that they would like to share?

Something in the wheelhouse of Sierra Nevada or Smuttynose porters?

Thanks,

Joe

My first brew was a SN Porter clone, extract w/ specialty grains. We taste-tested alongside the real thing and it was close, only BETTER. I had several friends over to try it and they all agreed the homebrew was better. Unfortunately we didn't do a double-blind test or anything. The homebrew just tasted richer, and more flavorful. This is coming from a guy whose favorite porter was Sierra Nevada (before I started homebrewing, that is).

Here's the recipe:
8 lbs Light LME
.5 lb Chocolate malt
.75 lb Crystal 60L

1.5 oz E.K. Goldings (whole leaf) (60)
.75 oz Willamette (whole leaf) (10)

WLP001 Cali ale yeast, no starter.

I tried modifying this recipe by adding another lb of LME and some black patent malt for a darker color, I wasn't impressed, I liked the original better. I'd consider brewing it again with the black patent as it shouldn't affect the flavor at all, but with the extra lb of LME it was too malty and too boozy (6.31% vs 5.67%) I also did a late extract addition the second time I brewed it and so I'm sure that changed the IBUs a bit. I would either do the whole extract addition at the beginning or scale down the hops to target 28 IBUs (use 1.2 oz Goldings instead if you do a 50/50 late addition).

Thank you for the reply.

I like the way yours looks. My only change would probably be to add some black patent or roasted barley due to liking my porter and stouts on the roasty side.

:mug:

Yeah I don't like too much roast flavor in there, but that is just my preference. FWIW I added 1/8 lb of black patent malt to the above recipe and I don't believe that impacted the flavor at all, but did add some color. I'd go with a bit more and/or combining it with the roasted barley if you want some of that flavor.

I actually did a CDA a few months back with a little bit of roasted barley and it was way too roasty for me.

Good luck!

Since you're on the Other Coast, you might consider a Rogue Mocha Porter clone. Austin Homebrew has one that is as close to identical to a draft Rogue as I've tasted.

Latest posts

Back