POR-15 to prevent rust on camco heating elements?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stephelton

Reaction score
I'm putting together my electric brewery. I've been using my HLT extensively for sous-vide while I finish up the enclosure and software. I've noticed a lot of rust, and since sometimes I leave water in the kettle for a long time with sous vide (did some pork green chile for 40 hours recently), this is a big problem.

I picked up a sacrificial anode, and it didn't help a whole lot. I've seen other people suggest POR-15, and I've seen some people even use JB-weld.

Can anyone attest to the safety of these? What about in the brew kettle? Even if I left the wort sitting around for several days (sour-mash)?

I've also seen people use silicone, but I will be disconnecting the elements frequently (probably every brew) so I worry that it won't hold up all that well.

For brewing I've never had any rust develop on my Camco element. But my kettle is aluminium so it's possible it's acting as the anode here. I never leave liquid sitting in the kettle either though...but I wouldn't think JB Weld would be food safe.

I would rather let em rust . They should develop a layer of surface rust which
will protect the metal from further rusting. That's what I 'm hoping will happen to mine. These elements were designed to be exposed to water 24/7 for their lifetime. We are not using them as they were made to be used in many cases. The rust comes from being exposed to air, that doesn't happen in a water heater.
Rust is iron oxide, if you take vitamins you are most likely ingesting iron oxide already. I believe it would be less harmful than whatever might leach out of jbweld ,silicone or epoxy You're talkin about a good deal of heat at the base of the element, even in water.
With the exception of the camco elements, there is nothing but stainless steel and copper in my system. No chemicals allowed.
That is why I brew, I know where it came from, what's in it and how it was made.
That's the best I can tell ya.

I don't want to just let it rust... that's the whole point of this thread. Even if it were a purely aesthetic problem, I still want to prevent it.

I also hate rust.
I went with a brass base/stainless element that I got off ebay. Couldn't be happier.

Latest posts

Back