Poppets in Firstone Challenger Keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jlinz

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Anybody seen the poppets in these used kegs? I think the posts are type A, but the poppets seem in there permanently. There is like a tiny little phillips screw in them and the feet sit on a ledge and do not seem to come off of it. I wanted to replace the poppets but not sure if it is possible to get these out at all or if it is even a good idea.
IMG_2588.JPG

Set the post on a hard surface and push the poppet (with some force) from the top with a nail set, small Phillips screwdriver, proper sized punch, etc. You might have to rap it with a small hammer if it doesn’t want to budge.

That isn't a screw in the bottom, but a tool mark where the center pin is flared in order to keep the feet in place. To remove, set it on a towel on the counter. Get a small flat-head screw driver or nail punch. Push down until it pops out. I usually lean my whole body over the screwdriver until it is free. To install a new one, set the post upside down on the towel, place the poppet inside, set the screwdriver or punch on the poppet's center pin, and push down hard until it pops in place.

Back