Popped my cherry with a Scottish Export

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WeeJock

Reaction score
Hello all and thanks for the wealth of information so far.
I am from Scotland and am currently living in Mexico, "**** load of rain to none". Having lived in England "West midland" for many years and enjoyed lashings of fine swill, i have been demoted to drinking fizzy piss.
This has all changed in the past to weeks as i started to grow my "propio cerveza".

I will post some questions soon as both the brews on the go just now seem to have totally fermented in the primarys withing 36hrs. IS THIS OK.

Saludos.

Welcome :mug:
It could get done that quick depending on the temp you had it at.
The higher the temp, the faster it will ferment, but you will also get more off flavors.
Let it sit a full week and take a gravity reading, if it's at your finishing gravity, give it a few more days to make sure the gravity doesn't change before bottling.

Thanks for the reply Dragon.
My brew room is between 18 and 22 c, which i dont think is to bad.
I did feel the primary was slightly hotter.
Just finished an English honey bitter and it did the exact same thing Crazy fermentation after 3 hrs then stopped at 36.
Moved the Scottish to the secondary on friday and it seemed to show some small bubbling but then died of again.

I will let you know the outcome, however unless it tastes like ghandis flipflop its still going down the hatch, You cant toss your first brew!!!

This can happen if you pitched an usually large yeast culture. I've had it happen on dry yeast packs, and it took maybe a day to ferment an old english ale when I pitched onto a healthy yeast cake.

Give it a week (or two!) and test it with your hydrometer. It *should* be done, and the 2 weeks of bulk aging will improve your flavor.

If it's a scotch ale with a high alcohol content, it's going to need resting time anyway. My last scotch ale really came into it's own after several (4 or 5?) months, but it was a wee heavy.

Back