Poor taste in a keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elZacho

Reaction score
Hi guys!

My brews have always been put in bottles but I just recently switched over to a kegging system. For my first batch in the keg, I used an AG kit and did a basic blonde ale. It tasted like watery nothing. Needless to say, I dumped it. For my second batch in the keg, I used my personal recipe. In the bottles, it is a very creamy, full bodied, dark amber color and hoppy beer. In the keg, it came out looking like foamy light yellow water and all you taste is the hops, no grain or biscuit flavor. I dont think I have an acid bite on the kegs or anything, I do a slow carb from the co2 in the fridge. My regulators usually only at 10-12. I thoroughly cleaned and sanitized the keg and lines before both batches.

What do you think is causing such a loss in flavor from what I had in bottles? Do I need to up the amount of grain in my recipe? Thanks for your thoughts!

Do you allow it to age about the same amount of time as your bottled brews? It may just need more time and might be very green right now.

Agreed. There is a lot of talk about force carbing, but I find that if I do that and try the beer a week to 10 days in, it's lacking. The set and forget carbing allowed to run its course yields better results, IMO. Especially in a lighter beer, carbonation brings out the hops and all that other goodness.

Kegging isn't going to change the color of the beer, so there was obviously something different in your brewing process other than the serving vessel.

Do you guys think i should age it not hooked up to CO2?

Nothing but the keg is different.

"Aging" won't care if the beer is gassed or not (and in truth, before you carbed it in the keg, it already had a significant CO2 content anyway).
What will affect the whole concept of "aging" is temperature, and a cold keg won't do a heck of a lot of maturing in any hurry.

It will clarify, but age? Not so much. Which is A Good Thing.

If you think the beer really needs to "change", I'd bring it back up to at least cellar temperature if not "room" temperature...

Cheers!

Thanks for the advice, guys. I am going to take the keg out of the fridge and let it sit for a little bit.

Hi guys!

My brews have always been put in bottles but I just recently switched over to a kegging system. For my first batch in the keg, I used an AG kit and did a basic blonde ale. It tasted like watery nothing. Needless to say, I dumped it. For my second batch in the keg, I used my personal recipe. In the bottles, it is a very creamy, full bodied, dark amber color and hoppy beer. In the keg, it came out looking like foamy light yellow water and all you taste is the hops, no grain or biscuit flavor. I dont think I have an acid bite on the kegs or anything, I do a slow carb from the co2 in the fridge. My regulators usually only at 10-12. I thoroughly cleaned and sanitized the keg and lines before both batches.

What do you think is causing such a loss in flavor from what I had in bottles? Do I need to up the amount of grain in my recipe? Thanks for your thoughts!

You don't taste your gravity readings;) As stated kegging will not change color or lead to a thin watery beer if it wasn't already there.

Back