Poor Carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Windex62

Reaction score
I made a Hop Devil clone that seemed to go well & bottled it in one liter flip-tops and 22 oz. bottles almost 4 weeks ago. I put the entire batch in the fridge after 2 weeks as I wanted to try some and give some away to friends. When I opened the first bottle, I noticed there was very little carbonation. I decided to leave it another week or so to see if it would improve, but there seems to be no difference. As I read other threads, it seems like I should have left this at room temperature much longer. I understand that the yeast may be dormant?
My question is what my next step should be. The beer tastes good, but is not drinkable with it being so flat. Please help.

1) Remove beer from fridge and allow to warm to ~70F
2) Leave them alone for another 2 weeks
3) Put one beer into fridge to cool for 2-3 days as a tester
4) If tester beer is well carbonated, place the rest of the beer back into the fridge and leave them alone for 5-7 days to get CO2 completely into solution
4a) If tester beer is still under-carbed, proceed again from step 2
5) Enjoy beer

Edit: How much priming sugar did you use, and what was the batch size? Are you sure the covers are secure on the bottles, so there is no way for CO2 to escape?

Take the beer out of the fridge and put it somewhere that is around 70 degrees. Leave it sit for two weeks then put one back in the fridge for a couple of days and try. Once your "test" is carbonated you can move the rest in the fridge. In the future, for a normal gravity beer, I'd leave it in a 70 degree environment for three weeks to carb up and condition properly. Bigger beers need more time.

my thoughts are they should have been at room temperature longer

I keg but do ten gallon batches so I have primed my second five gallons kegs with corn sugar

it takes my kegs about 4 weeks to naturally carbonate with sugar at room temp

so I am thinking warm them back up and see how it goes

what the ABV bigger beers take longer sometimes

all the best

S_M

Back