Poor boy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1lonewolf75

Reaction score
Howdy all. I've decided to try makin my own alcohol and just couldn't wait fer me to build funds to buy everythin I need next time I head fer a city. So I boiled water dumped half a gallon in an old rinsed milk jug put the lid on and shook and let the steam pressure it up. Then I took a can of juicy juice concentrate added it 2 3/4 cup sugar some frozen mixed fruit and water used to rinse the can out filled it to 3/4 full of the hot water n shook to mix. Started Fleismans yeast while that was coolin and made an airlock from another lid with medical hkse ran through it. Added my yeast and some more fruit topped off added my airlock with water in it. After rkund 3 hours it was bubblin and this morn it had move the water up the airlock. I plan on transferin it to another clean jug once the bubblin stops should I top that off with boiled water? Also how drinkable do y'all think this will be? Any tboughts are apprecieated.

One thing I know about brewing while poor is that it doesnt matter if its tasty as much as if it has a kick to it. Granted I'm brewing when chems and all now. But I've still got 2 liters going made with fast rise yeast and sugar water. Yeah its nasty, but if ya freezer it down, and hold your nose, it does the job.

You can pick up wine yeast usually for around $0.99. Next batch I would try using frozen generic apple juice, water, brown sugar, juice of a lemon, and a cup of strong black tea for tannins, with the wine yeast. Still pretty cheap, but should yield a decent, drinkable cider.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Really startin to bubble away now. My hope is to get to a brew store ifn I can find one next time I head fer a city so I can get some proper equipment. I think the closest store is two hours away though and this is like reloadin stuff in my mind I'd rather go and pay cash intead of orderin off the net. Just parionia I know.

You can make a 1 gal batch of Apfelwein(see recipe on the sticky thread at the top of this forum) for less than 5 dollars.

This may not help but, you should call the larger places that sell beer you may get lucky and they have a section dedicated to home brewing.

I was driving 20-30 minutes to a HB store then I found out that a Beverage in my town has everything 5 minutes away. Just a thought.

Its bubblin away and startin to smell a little like alcohol when I stirred it.

I'll ask a couple of local liquor stores bout that shhh thanks fer the idea.

Another cheap thing to look into is Sima. 2 pounds of sugar, the juice and zest of three lemons, and water to one gallon. Use the yeast slurry left over from your previous batch.

Back