Pool pump for CIP?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
holy hell yes. depending on what you're washing you may even want to throttle that sucker down.

Ha thats what I thought, thanks for the responses! The real question is what temp do you think pool or spa housings can handle?

One thing to consider... CIP is a pretty harsh chemical. You may want to see if the parts on your pump can handle exposure to it. I know it will eat and tarnish softer metals like aluminum or brass, and it makes some plastics brittle.

brewery CIP is typically 160-185F. pump seals/etc might not be able to handle that. check the manufacturer specs.

your PBW type chems are fine around 140-160F. just takes a bit longer to work than 185. no biggie.

make sure you rinse well and then hit it with some sort of acid to neutralize any leftover alkaline.

brewery CIP is typically 160-185F. pump seals/etc might not be able to handle that. check the manufacturer specs.

your PBW type chems are fine around 140-160F. just takes a bit longer to work than 185. no biggie.

make sure you rinse well and then hit it with some sort of acid to neutralize any leftover alkaline.

I think the biggest problem is actually finding specs on the housings. I have looked everywhere with no luck.

motor comes from china, so not sure how easy it would be to find those specs.

but what about the pump head? where did you get that? no nameplate or any sort of stamping on it? that's probly more relevant in terms of heat ratings.

i'd wonder if a "pool" pump might have a decent heat rating since it could also be used for jacuzzi ? not sure if that's the case, just wondering.

if you know where to get new seals then i'd say just go for it. make sure its on GFCI though. if those seals do leak you dont wanna get the motor wet.

motor comes from china, so not sure how easy it would be to find those specs.

but what about the pump head? where did you get that? no nameplate or any sort of stamping on it? that's probly more relevant in terms of heat ratings.

i'd wonder if a "pool" pump might have a decent heat rating since it could also be used for jacuzzi ? not sure if that's the case, just wondering.

if you know where to get new seals then i'd say just go for it. make sure its on GFCI though. if those seals do leak you dont wanna get the motor wet.

I have not actually purchased the pump head yet. I just have the motor currently, open to any options.

the pump heads will have graphs showing their psi output at various head heights. then find out the psi ratings on your cip ball.

considering how little head height you'll have (you're not pushing the water up 15ft in the air like a commercial brewery does) you might need to make sure you dont go over the maximum psi rating of your cip ball.

Back