Polypropylene Cam and grooves.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SouthernYankee

Reaction score
I would like any feedback on using the polypropylene cam and groove.
I have done a "search" but the only thing that comes up are the SS ones everyone seems to be using.

http://store.proflowdynamics.com/modules/store/-Polypropylene_C67.cfm

I really would like the SS ones but everytime I want to order they are "out of stock".

But as for the polypropylene ones. You just cant beat that price for them...for a set of 5 and shipping to my location. The price is less then $24 bucks

i use the push button qd's from midwest.

my only concern with those would be temp ratings since they aren't listed but that's some sweet pricing if the temp ratings are adequate (215 min better to 250)

I emailed them when i saw that the SS ones were out of stock, he said they are not food grade and told me the SS ones were the best bet. Here is the email
"Matt

It is not food safe.

Temperature rating depends on the seal (Standard Buna N seal 212 degress)

Stainless may be your best best.."

I emailed them when i saw that the SS ones were out of stock, he said they are not food grade and told me the SS ones were the best bet. Here is the email
"Matt

It is not food safe.

Thanks for your feedback.. I knew someone on here would know.
I never did think about the food safe aspect.

Thanks again!

He also made mention he could get food grade poly, but i didn't pursue the conversation. not sure how much that would have raised the price and im sure he would have wanted me to buy a higher volume that what i needed. im sure one of the vendors could talk to him about bulk buying them

"Matt

It is not food safe.

Are they not food safe or just not rated by the NSF for use with foodstuffs?

There's a ton of stuff made out of polypro that is food safe and if it just means that the manufacturer paid to have it tested and NSF certified then there should be no issue using the poly cam locks. Any idea what the other differences woould be between regular PP and food safe PP?

FWIW

The SS CamLocks that people are getting at ProFlowDynamics are not exactly food safe either. They come with BunaN gaskets, if you are concerned about the temp. ratings/food safety aspect, you can find replacement gaskets at McMastar Carr made from silicone ($8 each)

FWIW

The SS CamLocks that people are getting at ProFlowDynamics are not exactly food safe either. They come with BunaN gaskets, if you are concerned about the temp. ratings/food safety aspect, you can find replacement gaskets at McMastar Carr made from silicone ($8 each)

True, and that's why I wondered about the basis of the "not food safe" claim. If you look at the surfaces in contact with the fluid, you have polypro and whatever gasket material you choose. poly is considered food safe and if you swap out to silicon gaskets you should have a safe assembly.

Again is it the NSF/FDA stamp that makes it ok to use or the actual materials of construction?

I'm looking at $225 for SS vs $49 for poly, which is kinda tough to pass up if it's just based on a stamp.

I also like the fact that the poly should be a bit cooler to the touch when doing hose changes, but on my direct fired boil kettle the pair of ss may be better suited.

I might get flogged for this but....

I got the aluminum version. I figured I have been cooking in an aluminum pot for two years, how bad could it be. I'll be electric so no external heating of the cams. I also purchased the silicone O-rings for all the sets like Bobby-M discusses on the stainless cam review thread. I ordered them from orings and more I think I got 20 or 25 for $6.00 shipped.

The cams were so cheap I ordered a few extra's just in case of a ding. Downside is I can't use oxyclean as a CIP, but that doesn't seem like it'll be the end of the world.

I spent just under 50 bucks shipped and plan to put a camlock on every single flow point I have, just because.

I apologize for falling to the temptation of saving a buck, and my keggles are covered in black rubber anyway so my bling factor is way low to start.

I know this is an old thread, but I recently was looking at the Poly couplings from this store and sent an email to them. This was his response:

We have customers who use the poly for food however we do not have any food grade ratings.

The gaskets are not food grade however we do have some silicon gaskets in ½” and ¾”.

The poly couplings do soften at higher temperatures so you may want to test a few out first.

In the case of Polypropylene the maximum working temperature is about 158 ° and at this temperature the working pressures below must be reduced by 40%

You can find some specs at the link below:

http://proflowdynamics.com/cam-and-groove-technical.html

So it seems they're only rated up to 160 degrees F, which is weird, I thought they were 250 or so...

Back