Police Interceptor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

larrybrewer

Reaction score
Got it off CL from a guy who got it off government auction, 2005 Ford Crown Vic, P71

Cop motor
Cop shocks
Cop struts
Cop transmission
Cop tires
Cop brakes

Seats about 20...

Trunk holds about 8 corny kegs. Very smooth riding.

Only 50k miles!!

Just thought I would share with the group. Oh, nobody ever tail gates me, and when I signal, the lane I want seems to open right up.

P1020345.jpg

P1020351.jpg

Put a push bar and side spotlight on that sucker. Nobody would be in your way then. Only problem might be getting stuck behind people going the limit on 2-lanes.

nope better engines...my buddy had the chevy station wagon version. no engine cut off. it was a great car till he sold it.

The PI and PI+ have a set of high performance factory heads and tune from the factory, the block is the same though. They had a special suspension package as well.

The mercury marauder was the civilian version of the PI. Very cool car and makes a great sleeper. congrats!

Don't ever, EVER sit in the backseat. Or allow anyone you care about to sit there.

Sweet ride, though.

There is a guy at work who is the shadetree Crown Vic expert mechanic. He always has one or two 'in work' and sells them after he fixes them up. Been doing that for years.

IIRC, they have the same 4.6L V8 that was in my '97 Mustang GT (except maybe minus the headers mentioned). I put 220K on that Mustang, only changed the oil every ~20K miles (as I do with every vehicle I own, any more is a waste imo) and that car ran/started like the day I bought it. Ran problem-free for years at the hands of a teenag driver after that. Practically bullet-proof or so the mechanics around here say.

BUT, there was a recall on the plastic intake manifold in my Mustang. Mine developed a small crack/leak. Ford replaced mine for free (but completely botched the simple part, i.e. putting the right spark plugs back in :mad:). I don't know if this applies to the Crown Vic. I'll ask our local 'expert'.

EDIT: He says they changed/fixed that intake manifold problem around '02-'03 so you should be good on that. The recall has long expired anyway.

Thanks for the tip about the back seat. I'll have to check inside and see if the tank is shielded. The internet tells me the problem was addressed in 2005 and beyond, and mine is a 2005. There is a red button inside the trunk that says fuel shutoff, I should go read the manual and figure out what that does and when to use it.

I'll make sure if I ever have to pull over on a busy road to get WAY off the road.

Side impact sucks on this model. I read somewhere they reinforce the doors with an extra bar in the P71 model.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is this a rebuilt crash or just retired? 50k doesn't seem like a lot even for a police cruiser.

A friend got me a 1990 Chevy Caprice Highway Patrol car. No longer have it though. It had 163K and had some idling issues.

350 5.7L hmmmmm

gas mileage of a truck, but all the fun of people thinking you are HP. :)

Mine came with live ammo and a warrant list in the trunk from the local county :D

For fun, pull up the back seat and check for hidden items! I found a box cutter in mine. Probably ditched by someone in the back seat.

It did not show any signs of being in a wreck. Government decides to dump it through an auction after 5 years, no matter what the mileage.

Fuel shutoff in the back usually means that if the shutdown device trips ( like a rollover, or sudden jolt) that's the reset button. It's meant to prevent the car from continuing to run after an accident. I've seen them in the early 90s near the rear inner fender wall. Location can vary, but always a long ways from where the driver can reach it.

It did not show any signs of being in a wreck. Government decides to dump it through an auction after 5 years, no matter what the mileage.

50k in 5 years? Even I put on more milage just driving to and from work 1.5 hours a day 5 days a week.

It came with 10 sets of keys. Judging by the paint job and normal back seat I think it was a loaner for the higher-ups. It doesn't have the cage and plastic backseat like a normal patrol car. The engine compartment is beautiful, not an oil drip in sight, and underneath looked great too.

It came with 10 sets of keys. Judging by the paint job and normal back seat I think it was a loaner for the higher-ups. It doesn't have the cage and plastic backseat like a normal patrol car. The engine compartment is beautiful, not an oil drip in sight, and underneath looked great too.

Sounds like you got a cool car at a good price so I am not bashing you at all, just that I see no reason why a car in such good shape and so few miles needed to be retired especially if it were not being used by patrol officers. And why would higher ups need a PI equipped car? Not doubting it, just sayin'. At a time when all I hear is about government waste this appears to be a perfect example.

Good luck with it though, must be cool to drive. Just remember that just because you drive a cop car you are exempt from speeding tickets. :D

At a time when all I hear is about government waste this appears to be a perfect example.

Indeed, they could have gotten more for their money. Check out GSA auctions for a piece of the action.

Odd how funded departments have no incentive to be efficient. If they do well, they get LESS money next year. The system is backwards.

Anyhow the car is smooth, just took it on a 200 mile trip, not one hiccup. My old man got a kick out of flooring it. Burned up about 1/4 tank cranking it up to 80-90 several times. Wheels spin from a standstill.

Indeed, they could have gotten more for their money. Check out GSA auctions for a piece of the action.

Odd how funded departments have no incentive to be efficient. If they do well, they get LESS money next year. The system is backwards.

Anyhow the car is smooth, just took it on a 200 mile trip, not one hiccup. My old man got a kick out of flooring it. Burned up about 1/4 tank cranking it up to 80-90 several times. Wheels spin from a standstill.

True, but I guess what I meant was 50k miles is nothing for a car, almost a baby.

Latest posts

Back