Pokémon Go Anyone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just downloaded the update. I see the catch bonus listed with the medals, but not sure what it represents. Guess I'll have to go for a walk at lunch

I don't quite understand where they say 41.2 when I bet we're all on 41.4. They quote 41.2 on the Niantic site as well.

41.2 was the update, and then they did some quick hot fixes hours after which ended up being 41.3 and 41.4. A lot of people may not have even seen .2 or .3 and just ended up with .4.

You can collect stardust and coins immediately after winning a gym (assuming you haven't collected in the last 21 hrs)

You can collect as soon as you add a Pokemon to any gym, too

Really? I haven't heard this mentioned anywhere else... How much stardust/coins do you obtain for either conquering a gym or placing a pokemon, if you don't hold it for 21 hours?

Really? I haven't heard this mentioned anywhere else... How much stardust/coins do you obtain for either conquering a gym or placing a pokemon, if you don't hold it for 21 hours?

I literally figured out that you get coins a week or two ago. Planting a Pokemon in a pre-occupied gym gets one coin and 500 stardust, and I believe that is the same amount for conquering a gym AFTER you put the Pokemon in.

What I don't know is whether you get more after the 21hr mark or not as our nearby gyms are often taken over multiple times throughout the day.

I literally figured out that you get coins a week or two ago. Planting a Pokemon in a pre-occupied gym gets one coin and 500 stardust, and I believe that is the same amount for conquering a gym AFTER you put the Pokemon in.

What I don't know is whether you get more after the 21hr mark or not as our nearby gyms are often taken over multiple times throughout the day.

Good to know. I'm team Instinct, which is weak here, so it's tough to find a gym of any decent level for this team. At least with this I can still get some stardust and since I don't battle much, I always have plenty of revives and potions.

Good to know. I'm team Instinct, which is weak here, so it's tough to find a gym of any decent level for this team. At least with this I can still get some stardust and since I don't battle much, I always have plenty of revives and potions.

Wow. What's that bring Instinct up to now? A full dozen members?

Mystic is tops here by a slim margin. Then Valor. Instinct is a distant third.

Seems the pokes are harder to catch now. They evade and bat the balls away more.

Wow. What's that bring Instinct up to now? A full dozen members?

Mystic is tops here by a slim margin. Then Valor. Instinct is a distant third.

Seems the pokes are harder to catch now. They evade and bat the balls away more.

I see this happening in waves. Sometimes it seems all day the pokemons are very hard to hit and then take off after a few balls are lost. Other days it seems you can snag them pretty easily.

I took down a lvl 7 blue gym this morning, and as Instinct somehow my 'mon is still alive in it...

I wish they'd do something where you can actually see the status of the gym you're in. I'd love to know if anyone else has put something in or prestiged it up at all. But I can't find out without driving there again, which isn't worth it.

But I have confirmed that putting into a gym can give you an *IMMEDIATE* 500 stardust, and 10 coins. Not just 1 coin.

You can check your pokemon for his status. If he's got a symbol next to him, then he's still in the gym. If not, then he's most likely been knocked out and returned to your inventory (Might need to use a revive on 'em...)

It would be nice to have a screen listing what pokemon are out there, and which ones have been returned.

You can check your pokemon for his status. If he's got a symbol next to him, then he's still in the gym. If not, then he's most likely been knocked out and returned to your inventory (Might need to use a revive on 'em...)

It would be nice to have a screen listing what pokemon are out there, and which ones have been returned.

I know I can see that... I wish I could see the level of the gym and what slot he's taking in it, though. Essentially if it could just take me to the standard gym animation and I could swipe through like I was within range of it.

It's a moot point, though... I just checked and he's been returned lol...

Do the gyms reset after being defeated? I've seen some build up to a high level and then when I check later they are at a low level. I'm also not sure how someone could defeat a high level gym. I had trouble with my first gym battle mainly because I ran out of time at level 3 or 4.

Do the gyms reset after being defeated? I've seen some build up to a high level and then when I check later they are at a low level. I'm also not sure how someone could defeat a high level gym. I had trouble with my first gym battle mainly because I ran out of time at level 3 or 4.

Most gyms can be beaten eventually by almost anyone. A very high gym might not be taken by a very low level player simply due to the time limit, as you noticed. Sometimes pokemons match up so well that it takes a long time to defeat them, and the match times out. I've had it happen when I was a lower level.

In that case, focus on collecting pokemons and items until you get to a certain level. At that point you will have pokemon high enough to at least last a match, and very likely be able to beat some opponents.

The way to take down a gym is to beat pokemon inside the gym. If there are many small pokemon in there, then it's really a matter of time. If there are a few really big pokemon, then good luck beating them and taking their points down.

In that case, it's best to battle when you have help. Any gym can be taken if you have enough players fighting against it.

Yes, the gyms lose "prestige" whenever you beat the pokemon in the gym. Since you can fight with six guys at a time, you can almost always beat at least one or two guys in the gym and knock their prestige down. If you recharge enough times and knock their prestige down to zero, then the gym is empty and you can take it over for your team. It is tough to beat a high level gym by yourself, but a group of people on the same team can do it.

Yes, the gyms lose "prestige" whenever you beat the pokemon in the gym. Since you can fight with six guys at a time, you can almost always beat at least one or two guys in the gym and knock their prestige down. If you recharge enough times and knock their prestige down to zero, then the gym is empty and you can take it over for your team. It is tough to beat a high level gym by yourself, but a group of people on the same team can do it.

Agreed. I was bored when I dropped my daughter off at school last week because I got there a bit early, and there's a gym there that was level 7.

Basically I was able to defeat everything in the gym each time I fought it, using 6 pokemon each time. But each time I fought it, it only reduced its prestige enough to drop it one level.

So I had to basically fight the gym 7 times to knock it down. But it can be done.

Had it been a level 10 gym, it might have taken me more than 10 tries as I would probably have run through all 6 pokemon before beating everything in the gym. But it probably wouldn't take more than, say, 13-14 times unless it was filled with 3000+ CP Snorlax and Dragonite...

Agreed. I was bored when I dropped my daughter off at school last week because I got there a bit early, and there's a gym there that was level 7.

Basically I was able to defeat everything in the gym each time I fought it, using 6 pokemon each time. But each time I fought it, it only reduced its prestige enough to drop it one level.

So I had to basically fight the gym 7 times to knock it down. But it can be done.

Had it been a level 10 gym, it might have taken me more than 10 tries as I would probably have run through all 6 pokemon before beating everything in the gym. But it probably wouldn't take more than, say, 13-14 times unless it was filled with 3000+ CP Snorlax and Dragonite...

You did your team proud. I don't think I have been able to beat more than a Level 5 on my own.

There is just one gym that I can see from my house and last I checked it was reset to level 3 and so low that even I could beat it easily. The problem is it's a water tower in a really awkward location. Sad part is all the kids in the neighborhood must go there on their bikes and it crosses a dangerous street.

Checked my Pokemon Go at my friend's house after chatting with a couple of friends. Found a Clefairy. Bought 100 balls because I was out, and they live well off the beaten path. Caught that, and a Jigglypuff, and then another Clefairy the next morning.

It was 4:00am when we were done chatting and I caught it. My friend had gone to bed, but had gotten up to take a leak when my other friend was bugging him for the WiFi password! He was pissed (pub in tended) when he found out she wanted it for playing pokemon go!

Get ready for Wednesday guys! I'm going to be walking my dratini like crazy!

tmT1YmK.jpg

What's going on Wednesday?

It's all listed in that picture... fronm oct 26 - nov 1 you will get 4x candies for buddies. So for dratini it will be 4 candies per 5 km walked instead of just 1. Others like Pikachu who only need 1 km will get 4 candies for 1km walked.

It's all listed in that picture... fronm oct 26 - nov 1 you will get 4x candies for buddies. So for dratini it will be 4 candies per 5 km walked instead of just 1. Others like Pikachu who only need 1 km will get 4 candies for 1km walked.

I don't see a picture in your post. That happens rarely. I looked it up. Might have to go walking this weekend!

I'd like to evolve my haunters. Other than that, I am good on the rest. I'm most interested in collecting them all right now. Still a ways to go, though.

I'm focused on completing my pokedex also and this event is a great opportunity to help you do that. When the buddy system first started I started by walking any pokemon that only needed 1km/candy until I had all the evolved forms, and then moved on to the 3km/candy. Right now I am 1km away from being able to hatch my grimer finally!

With this bonus candy week you can get 4 candies per instead of just one, that can lead to evolving a lot of pokemon that you might still need! I only have 5km/candy ones left but if you still have a lot of 1 and 3's you can probably get a lot in during this week.

grimer.jpg

Has anyone noticed the gyms leveling up much faster since the last update (which allows you to train with 6 guys at a time)? Pretty much every gym in my town is now a Level 10 with 52000/50000 prestige. I am not sure how to go about attacking them.

Has anyone noticed the gyms leveling up much faster since the last update (which allows you to train with 6 guys at a time)? Pretty much every gym in my town is now a Level 10 with 52000/50000 prestige. I am not sure how to go about attacking them.

Probably the same way as before. Might need to get a couple of buddies if they have high CP pokes in them.

FYI I went out at lunch with a girl from work and there were Gastlies, Haunters, Cubones, etc. all over the place! Much more of them than even the commons before the event.

Back