Pneumatic crown capper

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Juhog

Reaction score
Greetins from Finland,

I wanted to post few photos of my pneumatic bench capper.

1614426235065.png

Made design first with 3d-cad. Bottom plate 8mm stainless, upper profile 5mm stainless. Cylinder parts are Festo (DNC-63-40 + HNG-63) + valve + regulator.

Capping head is spare part for capper called "corona" and other parts for that are custom made.

With this construction needed pressure is minimum 5 bar -> cylinder force ~160kg.

Eye protection can be seen on cad-model, but it's not yet made in real pictures.

IMG_20210227_133442.jpg
IMG_20210227_133450.jpg
IMG_20210227_133602.jpg

IMG_20210304_192335.jpg

I made first this with Emily capping head. But when i make measurement how capping is done, by tolerance. It barely goes to upper tolerance. So it might be ok, but there is very small allowance for head wearing.

IMG_20210304_192124.jpg

This measurement is "Corona"-capper head. Cap is closed to lower tolerance and sealing dimensions is perfect.

Question: Emily capping head is widely used, do i have bad one, or does this head close more loosely then i think should?

I've noticed that with my Emily and new bench capper as well. The Emily head is a bell head that will leave a tapered bottom of the crimp, while the bench capper which has a similar looking head to your Corona one seems to be a cylindrical head which crimps the cap to the same diameter at top and bottom. Never had an issue with either one though, but that's just my experience.

Latest posts

Back