Plum-strawberry (aka another costco wine)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

esarkipato

Reaction score
I just picked up the following from Costco (best place for fruit wine making supplies :))

-6 lbs frozen strawberries ($8)
-3 lbs dried plums ($6)
-10 lbs cane sugar ($5)

Now I'm looking for a recipe. I like the following from Jack Keller's website:

# 6 frozen chopped strawberries
# 3 dried plums
# 10 lbs. granulated sugar
# 5 tsp. acid blend
# 10 tsp. pectic enzyme
# 1 tsp. grape tannin
# 5 crushed Campden tablet
# Lalvin RC212 (on hand) with starter.

I really think this many prunes (3 lbs dried plums seems like a LOT) would lend to a nice full body, and hopefully the strawberries will give a nice aroma and crisp taste. Thinking about waiting to add the strawberries until after the first racking even.

I'll probably do this one semi-dry (just a little backsweetening), although a semi-sweet might be nice in the summer.

Anyone have any experience brewing with prunes/dried plums?

After-thought: The above is a 5 gallon batch. I could do a 3 gallon batch with

-6# strawberries
-3# dried plumbs
-6# cane sugar

This might give the strawberries more prominence.

Going in bottles soon, and it's going to be a real hit come summertime! It's smoothed out just fine, very little "bite". OG was about 1.098 and fermented dry. I back-sweetened to about 1.004-1.006 with honey after stabilizing. The strawberry aroma is great! Color is a pinkish red.

This wine turned out great. Only complaint is not racking and bulk aging more .... damn floaties!!!! I'm going to make the 5g batch again soon!

How does this work? Do you just crush the strawberries and get 5 gallons of juice or do you top up with water to 5 gallons? Basically, how do you get the liquid?

Well I should have taken better notes (for shame)! I brewed it on 1/4/2009, and probably bottled it around 4/1/2009, at which point the hotness of the alcohol already started to subside. However, I will bulk age for at least 6 months from the start date next time just to get a more clear wine in the bottle .... I had lots of floaties in the bottles!

Back