Plucked Doves

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BamaProud

Reaction score
Sunday Supper reminded me of my youth. I ate 5 and my 7 y/o girl ate 2...wish we had more.

PluckedDoves1_zps50fd58c1.jpg

Growing up we used to pluck all of our birds, ducks, doves quail etc... and we killed a LOT of all of them in the late 70s through early 90s. I don't know why Dad started "breasting them out" convenience I guess...but that transition started in my early teens. Nowdays it seems like it is rare for anyone to pluck game birds. Last Fall I decided to pluck a few, I will definitely pluck a lot more next Fall.

PluckedDoves2_zps359512a5.jpg

With a lot of poultry, I find that it's tough to pluck without pulling the skin off too. Sometimes that's handy, but mostly I like to leave the skin on. Do you have a special technique that leaves the skin intact?
Regards, GF.

If you are doing a lot Parifin Wax helps. I Dip each bird in melted wax in a big pot and hang the bird to dry. Feathers peel right off. Put feathers/waxl back in the pot and skim off feathere to reuse wax.

I really dig poultry because of the incredibly high yield of bird to food. I've tried to convince my friends to have stock parties... alas thwarted...

Back