Pliny clone,slow/weak fermentation, krausen gone quick.should I pitch new yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geekjitsu

Reaction score
I brewed the Pliny extract kit w/ WLP001 (30 hour starter) from Northern Brewer last Saturday (7 days ago). With other double IPAs I brewed I had a large amount of blowoff, so I took some extra plastic tubing and made a blow off tube w/ a 1 gallon water bottle half filled with star san.

OG was 1.08, I got a little of the sludge from the boil pot in the primary so the actual OG may have been slightly lower.

It took 48-72 hours for fermentation to start and the fermentation was pretty weak, krausen was only an inch or so above the surface level. I never saw any bubbling in the star san.

Krausen lasted 4 days. I haven't taken another gravity reading yet, but I can't imagine in 4 days with that weak of krausen that all the sugar has been converted.

Everything I've read about Pliny clones says that fermentation is usually really active (blow off tube necessary).

I followed the instructions exactly, when I pitched the yeast the wart was 75 degrees. The only thing I can think of that was off was that the yeast was luke warm when I received it (it had been shipped without a cold pack). But since I had bubbling in the starter and krausen in the primary, I would think that the yeast was still good.

Would I see any benefit from getting another vile of WLP001, doing another starter (24 hours) and pitching it?

Thanks for the response.

I just took a gravity reading and it's at 1.01, so I guess I'm ok. I'll let it sit for another week in the primary before I transfer to the secondary.

This is the first beer I've done with a starter that I didn't have really active fermentation and with all the stories I've ready about Pliny clones have blow offs I guess I got spooked.

Thanks again!

75F is way too high! You should look into lowering and controlling your fermentation temps toward the lower end for the particular yeast used. I'm surprised you didn't get much more activity and blow-off at that temp.

Back