Pliny bottling nightmare tonight!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CrazyP

Reaction score
Tonight stepped up RDWHAHB to RDWHAJD (Jack Daniels!) :cross:

I bottled my Pliny clone tonight and man, what a mess. I decided to use my new auto-siphon, which has worked well for racking from one vessel to another, but it is much tricker to use with one of those spring-loaded bottling wands. The trouble started immediately, after I forget to push the wand down while pulling the auto-siphon up. That created a vacuum on the upstroke and a bunch of air in the siphon line on the downstroke. I managed to spill a bunch of beer on the floor while resetting. Then, because my LHBS sold me the wrong diameter of siphon hose, I used some rubber bands and plastic clamps to make the connections tight. The rubber bands weren't working very well tonight though and I was continuously getting small bubbles leaking into my line from the wand side. This oxygenated the wort caused a bunch of foam to form in the bottles which made it hard to fill them fully.

After filling about 24 bottles, I stopped to sanitize the remaining 24 bottles. (I like to break up the sanitizing and filling steps). I put the wand in an empty, sanitized bottle. It took me about 5 minutes to sanitize the remaining bottles, and when I went to grab the wand, I saw a huge puddle of beer. Apparently the tip of the wand was being pushed down just enough to slowly leak beer. It was probably at least a bottle's worth of beer wasted.

My next 16 bottles went okay (still dealing with the small air bubbles), until I saw something going through the hose. I initially thought it was bubbles, but then I realized it was small hops particles that were being sucked into the siphon from the surface of the liquid. The next thing I know, the siphon had clogged with the all hops. I still had a good amount of beer left, so I decided to take it apart, clean it, re-sanitize it, and start the siphon again. The siphon proceeded to clog after 1 bottle! I managed to fill 3 more bottles by pumping the wand up and down, before it completely clogged up again. My final yield was 44 bottles, when I should have gotten 48. :mad:

The good news? The beer tastes fantastic! I've never had the real Pliny the Elder, but the flavor and hop aroma were excellent. And overall, this was a pretty successful brew, especially since it was the highest OG brew I've ever done and the first time I've dry hopped.

Some lessons learned:
1) Use the correct siphon hose size (5/16" inner diameter, not 3/8")
2) Sanitize all the bottles at once; don't break up the bottling session
3) If you have to put a spring loaded bottling wand down, don't set it down on the tip
4a) Always press the wand tip down when starting an auto-siphon
or
4b) Buy a bottling bucket!
5) Make sure the beer is adequately filtered so that the bottling wand doesn't clog.

You don't even have to buy a bottling bucket. Just get a plastic spigot and drill a hole in a bucket that you already have. It's not a big price difference so maybe it's not worth the trouble to you. Everything else is right on. No need to filter your beer if you use hop bags to dry hop.

Thanks for the tips! I love your setup with the wand attached directly to the bottling bucket. I'm going to add a bottling bucket and a vinator to the top of my wish list. In the long term I'd like to do kegging but it's going to take a while for SWMBO to come around to the idea.

its easier to ask for forgiveness then permission...just do it! my keg setup cost me a camera for her purse...not too bad:D

its easier to ask for forgiveness then permission...just do it! my keg setup cost me a camera for her purse...not too bad:D

LOL that was my philosophy. It been working pretty well so far. Just space out the purchases to every couple of weeks :mug:

Thanks for the tips! I love your setup with the wand attached directly to the bottling bucket. I'm going to add a bottling bucket and a vinator to the top of my wish list. In the long term I'd like to do kegging but it's going to take a while for SWMBO to come around to the idea.

I just bottle with Revvy's idea of the wand right on the spigot. Its the Bee's Knees. One thing I might adjust is to add a small jog, to get the wand further away from the bucket (or in my case further away from the cabinet doors)

The vintaor is great too, but think I'm going to use idsphor, the san-star foams up the vinator a bit too much.

Theres the Tap-a-Draft, somewhere between bottling and kegging, and a bit cheaper. People seem to like them. I haven't tried it.

Revvy's method is what I've used for my first 4 batches and it works very well. I needed to do a few minor tweaks to create a workflow for my space but it's a great system.

Back