Pliers for Getting Caps Off Kegland Disconnects

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clint Yeastwood

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
In case anyone else has invested in a bunch of Kegland disconnects and is tired of using steel pliers to get the caps off, here is a tool that makes it much easier:

https://www.amazon.com/IPS-Soft-touch-wide-270mm-WL-270S/dp/B000ALF5F4
Not only does it have non-marring jaws, but it closes to exactly the right width to turn the caps without marring them or squeezing them against the disconnect bodies. When you squeeze the caps against the bodies, it creates a lot more friction.

I wouldn't shell out $32 just to get disconnects open. I already had this thing. There are probably other pliers that will do the same job.

The main problem with the disconnects seems to be getting them open when they're new, but it may be that problems could arise later, so if you have a whole bunch of these disconnects, this could be a good investment.

I can't see the amazon link... I'm in Canada and every time I click on one those links these days, they automatically redirect me to amazon . ca and do a search that just shows a page of hits that often have nothing to do with the actual linked item. Any chance you could post a pic?
I have traditionally just used channel-lock pliers with a rag wrapped around the jaws for plastic parts, but would love to see a ready-to-go tool for the purpose.

I can't see the amazon link... I'm in Canada and every time I click on one those links these days, they automatically redirect me to amazon . ca and do a search that just shows a page of hits that often have nothing to do with the actual linked item. Any chance you could post a pic?
I have traditionally just used channel-lock pliers with a rag wrapped around the jaws for plastic parts, but would love to see a ready-to-go tool for the purpose.
51TzMqz+I5L._AC_SX300_SY300_.jpg

Thanks! That does actually look useful for some of the difficult projects I undertake...... so much easier to just reach for one tools without having to consider how to modify it to avoid damage to what I'm working on.
:mug:

Edit: My apologies. I thought the ask was for disconnecting the lines. I see that it is for the caps. Yes, the pliers would work fine though I have found that the simplest way of cleaning them would be to put carbonation caps on soda bottles filled with sanitizer, attach a line, add some pressure (15psi works great), attach a picnic tap and simply let the sanitizer do its thing. And once done, simply immerse it in sanitizer for 15 minutes. Have never had the need to remove the top.

Why not just use a rag to grip the caps? Works perfect for me with brand new ones and no finger pain. You guys are over thinking this…

No it’s amazing it didn’t work for you. I’ve got like 16 of them and it worked for everyone of them.

No, it's amazing it worked so well for you when other people have had this problem, Kegland acknowledges it, and Kegland is now considering changing the product. Only 20% of my caps came off without tools, and I have strong hands.

If your solution is incredibly obvious, other people have tried it, and if they are complaining about the caps, it's obvious it doesn't work reliably.

It's not helpful trying to convince people they haven't had a problem they have clearly had. It must be considerably worse for women and brewers with arthritis.

01 30 23 duotight kegland disconnect in vise.jpg

Back