Please rate my recipe...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BDD

Reaction score
Hello fellow brewers, newbie to this site, and relatively new at brewing. I am impressed with the information posted. I have been using kits from my LHBS, now going to try and put a recipe together myself. This is an extract/grain, I am going for something malty with mid to upper bitterness, any feedback or advice (God knows I need it) is appreciated.

Thanks.

1 lb. Crystal malt 80L
4 oz. Carafa III
4 oz. Victory malt
4 lbs. Amber DME
3.3 lbs. Briess Golden LME
2 oz. Centennial 60 min.
.5 oz Chinook 20 min.
.5 oz Cascade 5 min.
.5 oz Cascade dry hopped last 5 days in secondary
Safale 05

Hello fellow brewers, newbie to this site, and relatively new at brewing. I am impressed with the information posted. I have been using kits from my LHBS, now going to try and put a recipe together myself. This is an extract/grain, I am going for something malty with mid to upper bitterness, any feedback or advice (God knows I need it) is appreciated.

Thanks.

1 lb. Crystal malt 80L
4 oz. Carafa III
4 oz. Victory malt
4 lbs. Amber DME
3.3 lbs. Briess Golden LME
2 oz. Centennial 60 min.
.5 oz Chinook 20 min.
.5 oz Cascade 5 min.
.5 oz Cascade dry hopped last 5 days in secondary
Safale 05

That's a little to much crystal, 6-8% max, I'd up the victory to 10%. You have too much bittering hops, not enough flavor or aroma, if you don't want too bitter, but good flavor, do 1oz centennial @60, 1oz chinook @20, 1oz cascade @ 0 @ dry hop with 1oz each cascade and centennial. You may want to go with my favorite way to hop: fwh with 2oz centennial, 1oz chinook @ 15 and 1oz cascade at 0, then do 1oz cascade dry hop for no more than 7 days.

I'd have to ask you what are you trying to make exactly? In addition to what Mel had to say, I'd personally back down on the DME to half that amount but I don't know how high of an ABV you are shooting for. I'd say start lower in ABV and work your way up in further batches if that's what you want. I'd steep your grains in 1.25 quarts per lb. malt at 152 degrees F for 30-60 minutes with some base malt too, like 12 oz. of two row or Maris Otter depending on what you're shooting for. With the 4 oz of Carafa III and the Amber extract you're wanting a dark beer too. So I'm confused with what you're trying to make, a dark IPA or dark DIPA? If so, I'd replace the Victory with 6 oz. Carapils and the Amber with Light DME. Remember the Amber extract has Crystal in it so you are going to get a fair amount of Crystal in this recipe so at least listen to Mel on that one. I'd also follow his hops suggestion. Also to better extract the hops, I'd add the LME after the boil and stir it in and let it sit for 10 minutes before chilling the wort. You got the right idea but tell us more on what you're shooting for and we can give you more advice.

Hey buzzerj, thanks for the reply. What I am looking for is a dark IPA. I used this recipe based on Beersmith2 and some of the other LHBS recipes. I am shooting for a maltiness with a mid-to upper IBU rating...new to this, thanks.

Back