PLEASE let the Northern Brewer buy-out be a hoax!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, never thought people would be off put by a larger manufacturer buying out a homebrew supply.

So.. f'kin.. what.. lol.

It's business and honestly will probably be better for the customer. They still have great prices on certain items.

If that's how you feel about it, I urge you to vote with your wallet and purchase products from NB/MW.

I believe that this is bad for consumers both in the short term and the long term. From a strictly economic standpoint, this is an example of Walmart style disruption where the large market force moves in, disrupts smaller organizations which forces them out, reduces choice, and ultimately stagnates the entire market.

As I sit drinking a Sierra Nevada Narwhal Imperial Stout (IMHO one of the 10 best beers out of North America), I can't help but feel a swell of pride in this community of passionate home brewers.

As I stated in my original post, I hoped this was a hoax. I really wanted to wake up and find out this was a ridiculous joke played by those who knew my love of craft beer and, more specifically, home brewing.

But now that it's out in the open, I want all of you to appreciate the temerity of my original source who risked much to divulge this information. I had the opportunity today to talk to them and discover they were relieved and gratified that the information was in the hands of those whom it affected the most:

You.

...and you should be proud! After 50 pages of posts on this topic, it is evident what a passionate and dynamic community of home brewers has been established. People who love beer and brewing that have labored to make this more than a hobby.

All I did was to stir the waters where this issue would matter the most and the response was more than I could have hoped for. Not only has this made national press, but it has engaged this community in discussion, argument and vitriol.

I will refer to my source simply as "Mark Felt". One individual who stood in front of the oncoming train. It is important to remember, especially for us in the United States, to embrace the strength of truth and transparency, especially in the defense against well organized tyranny.

I have my tinfoil hat firmly screwed on with lead lining in place. If I find a better defense against my oppressors, I will engage that also, but for now, the task falls to YOU -home brewers- to make sure that no one can take from you what is our natural right to make for ourselves. Like the founding fathers who grew hemp or those who fought the Whiskey Rebellion, keep brewing no matter what!

I also want to make specific mention of HomeBrewTalk member theglassboot, a reporter/journalist for Beer Marketer's INSIGHTS. He is the source quoted by Minnesota's Growler Magazine who broke the story locally. He knew where to look for the dirt on ZX Ventures and eventually responsible for breaking the story nationally.

For my part, I am satisfied the truth has come out. What happens next is for you to determine. I am already encouraged to see the ranks forming to take on the next phase of home brewing in a truly DIY fashion. This is everything I love about home brewers, everything I love about freedom and democracy in action.

Now go brew some F'in BEER! Just save me some.

What Denver stores have you been shopping at. Besides bulk grain, ordering online with shipping has been much cheaper when compared with buying local.

CO-Brew mostly since it's a walk down the street from my office. I buy stuff for 1-2 gallon batches. I never really compared their prices on equipment, but grains, hops and yeast are on par with Northern Brewer.

Wow, never thought people would be off put by a larger manufacturer buying out a homebrew supply.

So.. f'kin.. what.. lol.

It's business and honestly will probably be better for the customer. They still have great prices on certain items.

So what actions has InBev made in the past couple years that would make you think them getting involved will be "better for the customer"?

I am not of the opinion that a big business buying a smaller business is always a bad thing nor always a good thing. Very situational. But some of InBev's activities on the distribution level are a little disconcerting and don't make me think they will bring about a great revolution for the consumer in the homebrew supply market.

So what actions has InBev made in the past couple years that would make you think them getting involved will be "better for the customer"?

I am not of the opinion that a big business buying a smaller business is always a bad thing nor always a good thing. Very situational. But some of InBev's activities on the distribution level are a little disconcerting and don't make me think they will bring about a great revolution for the consumer in the homebrew supply market.

No I agree they have done some distasteful things in distribution, but they are taking a hands off approach to the market. That's the hair of the beast, in big business someone always has to lose but in our case I don't think it will be the HB community.

With the NB buyout they will have opportunities for growth and development, also access to more capital to do R-and-D to produce better products to advance HBing. Also they may undergo restructuring having more warehouses for products as to ship faster and more efficient.. you never know until you see what InBev has planned.

And maybe, just maybe they will use some of the InBevs outreach to expand the market.. make homebrewing more popular and common hobby. Taking a hobby that I care so deeply for and spreading the joy and rewarding nature of it to the masses, growing the HB culture.

I just feel it's counterproductive to be pessimistic.

CO-Brew mostly since it's a walk down the street from my office. I buy stuff for 1-2 gallon batches. I never really compared their prices on equipment, but grains, hops and yeast are on par with Northern Brewer.

Holy cow! That place is huge (from pics online) and you can brew onsite!

Pretty cool looking store.

No I agree they have done some distasteful things in distribution, but they are taking a hands off approach to the market. That's the hair of the beast, in big business someone always has to lose but in our case I don't think it will be the HB community.

With the NB buyout they will have opportunities for growth and development, also access to more capital to do R-and-D to produce better products to advance HBing. Also they may undergo restructuring having more warehouses for products as to ship faster and more efficient.. you never know until you see what InBev has planned.

And maybe, just maybe they will use some of the InBevs outreach to expand the market.. make homebrewing more popular and common hobby. Taking a hobby that I care so deeply for and spreading the joy and rewarding nature of it to the masses, growing the HB culture.

I just feel it's counterproductive to be pessimistic.

I simply do not see enough profitability in what you describe to have any chance whatsoever of being what AB InBev has planned. They would have done better simply taking the cash and sticking it into a safe hedge fund, if that is their plan, and such endeavors that are not profitable enough are generally the death knell for a CEO by the Board.

Nope, it's a Disruptive Venture Capital group that has taken this project on. That's all you need to know, financially speaking, to have a good idea of what is in store.

So enjoy the extremely low prices for the next couple of years. True disruption in a market will some times require taking a loss for 24 months before the true goal is reached, which is incrediblly high profitability which comes from a disrupted market resulting in near monopolistic control and much higher prices on an inventory that has less than a third of the original number of products to provide maximum return on warehouse space.

As I sit drinking a Sierra Nevada Narwhal Imperial Stout (IMHO one of the 10 best beers out of North America), I can't help but feel a swell of pride in this community of passionate home brewers.

As I stated in my original post, I hoped this was a hoax. I really wanted to wake up and find out this was a ridiculous joke played by those who knew my love of craft beer and, more specifically, home brewing.

But now that it's out in the open, I want all of you to appreciate the temerity of my original source who risked much to divulge this information. I had the opportunity today to talk to them and discover they were relieved and gratified that the information was in the hands of those whom it affected the most:

You.

...and you should be proud! After 50 pages of posts on this topic, it is evident what a passionate and dynamic community of home brewers has been established. People who love beer and brewing that have labored to make this more than a hobby.

All I did was to stir the waters where this issue would matter the most and the response was more than I could have hoped for. Not only has this made national press, but it has engaged this community in discussion, argument and vitriol.

I will refer to my source simply as "Mark Felt". One individual who stood in front of the oncoming train. It is important to remember, especially for us in the United States, to embrace the strength of truth and transparency, especially in the defense against well organized tyranny.

I have my tinfoil hat firmly screwed on with lead lining in place. If I find a better defense against my oppressors, I will engage that also, but for now, the task falls to YOU -home brewers- to make sure that no one can take from you what is our natural right to make for ourselves. Like the founding fathers who grew hemp or those who fought the Whiskey Rebellion, keep brewing no matter what!

I also want to make specific mention of HomeBrewTalk member theglassboot, a reporter/journalist for Beer Marketer's INSIGHTS. He is the source quoted by Minnesota's Growler Magazine who broke the story locally. He knew where to look for the dirt on ZX Ventures and eventually responsible for breaking the story nationally.

For my part, I am satisfied the truth has come out. What happens next is for you to determine. I am already encouraged to see the ranks forming to take on the next phase of home brewing in a truly DIY fashion. This is everything I love about home brewers, everything I love about freedom and democracy in action.

Now go brew some F'in BEER! Just save me some.

"it has engaged this community in discussion, argument and vitriol."

That's the unfortunate part of the discussion.

As consumers, we need to be willing to pay more than we COULD for something to support the local store. But if Item A costs $5 at the store where you buy it now, and NB sells it for $3, the price at the store remains $5.

Buy from your local store whenever you can. It's that simple.

to me the whole thing still makes no sense. Perhaps I am missing something.
A lot of people use LHBS and will continue to use them even if there were somewhat cheaper alternatives online.
Many LHBS have taprooms and provide other services, so they are fun to visit (at least for me).
My LHBS has 50lbs of US 2-row for $40, so 80 cents per lb. How much cheaper can one get? So if your 5 gallon recipe grain bill is now $10 instead of $20, is it really worth that much to you? Most of the investment is my own time anyways, grain is cheap. Hops/yeast are more expensive, but shipping/storage makes it more of a logistical nightmare.

The one key advantage of LHBS is that sometimes you decide: I want to brew recipe X, *today* - and with LHBS you can go and buy all ingredients and start brewing. No need to wait 2 days for shipping etc. Or if you are missing specific hop or need a yeast.

It's hard for me to believe that InBev sees homebrewers (which are tiny sliver of the market) as either profitable segment, or as a threat.

I think it's more of a concern about growth craft beer companies. Or marketing (as in - selling "Budweiser" branded gear for brewing etc?). Perhaps buying the largest home-brew distributor they can have more control over raw materials pricing?

But to me it's hard to see what the InBev would benefit from undercutting prices just to drive a whole bunch of LHBS out of business. It's not like all the homebrewers will start drinking Bud Light, even if that were to happen.

to me the whole thing still makes no sense. Perhaps I am missing something.
A lot of people use LHBS and will continue to use them even if there were somewhat cheaper alternatives online.
Many LHBS have taprooms and provide other services, so they are fun to visit (at least for me).
My LHBS has 50lbs of US 2-row for $40, so 80 cents per lb. How much cheaper can one get? So if your 5 gallon recipe grain bill is now $10 instead of $20, is it really worth that much to you? Most of the investment is my own time anyways, grain is cheap. Hops/yeast are more expensive, but shipping/storage makes it more of a logistical nightmare.

The one key advantage of LHBS is that sometimes you decide: I want to brew recipe X, *today* - and with LHBS you can go and buy all ingredients and start brewing. No need to wait 2 days for shipping etc. Or if you are missing specific hop or need a yeast.

But to me it's hard to see what the InBev would benefit from undercutting prices just to drive a whole bunch of LHBS out of business. It's not like all the homebrewers will start drinking Bud Light, even if that were to happen.

What they would hope to achieve with such a strategy is a bigger share of the online sales, not bud light sales, or LHBS sales. I'm not saying this is the most likely scenario, but its not as absurd or nonsensical as some of you suggest.

My guess is that they see (1) a profitable and growing business (I've read reports of $50m in revenue by NB), (2) that's closely related to their core products, (3) that may allow them to build good will towards a growing "beer nerd" community that currently spurns them and (4) a business in which they may be uniquely positioned to achieve better margins due to existing relationships and market share.

I generally view it as negative development for homebrewers because (1) in other markets related to their main product, such as distribution, they engaged in anticompetitve practices; (2) I prefer not to give InBev money and which means I just lost my go-to online retailer, Midwest. I usually shop at LHBS these days, but their hours and locations don't always fit my schedule. But its not a big deal, I ordered a Fermonster and a couple odds and ends I needed from MoreBeer on Wednesday and they were at my door on Thursday! I'm over MW already.

That being said, I've got nothing against the owners who just made a ton of money. Good for them. I mean, its fair to razz em a bit, particularly the NB owner who wrote an article about how you shouldn't give Big Beer your money. I also think its fair to criticize their statements justifying it and claiming nothing will change. But they worked hard, built a great business, and served our community. We should all be happy for them.

What they would hope to achieve with such a strategy is a bigger share of the online sales, not bud light sales, or LHBS sales. I'm not saying this is the most likely scenario, but its not as absurd or nonsensical as some of you suggest.

My guess is that they see (1) a profitable and growing business (I've read reports of $50m in revenue by NB), (2) that's closely related to their core products, (3) that may allow them to build good will towards a growing "beer nerd" community that currently spurns them and (4) a business in which they may be uniquely positioned to achieve better margins due to existing relationships and market share.

I generally view it as negative development for homebrewers because (1) in other markets related to their main product, such as distribution, they engaged in anticompetitve practices; (2) I prefer not to give InBev money and which means I just lost my go-to online retailer, Midwest. I usually shop at LHBS these days, but their hours and locations don't always fit my schedule. But its not a big deal, I ordered a Fermonster and a couple odds and ends I needed from MoreBeer on Wednesday and they were at my door on Thursday! I'm over MW already.

That being said, I've got nothing against the owners who just made a ton of money. Good for them. I mean, its fair to razz em a bit, particularly the NB owner who wrote an article about how you shouldn't give Big Beer your money. I also think its fair to criticize their statements justifying it and claiming nothing will change. But they worked hard, built a great business, and served our community. We should all be happy for them.

I actually agree with you and that's along the lines I was thinking too.
But I can clearly see how the InBev does damage to craft brewers by monopolizing the distribution and pushing out smaller companies.

With this acquisition, the story is not as clear to me, because NB is not in direct competition with their main product. If they are in it for continued profits of NB, they will have to continue reasonable pricing of goods that NB used to provide so not much will change. The skeptic in me says they will try to gain monopoly of the homebrewers market by pricing the small stores out (short term losses, to gain monopoly long-term) but to me it's not clear this will happen, as at least in many markets people may continue to buy ingredients locally. I would like to think that many/most homebrewers have a much more intimate connection to their LHBS (at least for ingredients) than in most profession. I never bought anything from NB but I did buy some, let's say "unique" equipment - mostly from MoreBeer, kegconnection, sometimes amazon or craigslist, as well as hop bulk purchases from various online suppliers. But grains and yeast and most of the basic equipment are from my LHBS. There is something about smelling the grains, weighing them, walking around the store, that is difficult to replicate by buying a prearranged kit online.

I am not sure how much reputation of InBev going to improve if they try to market equipment to homebrewers either. I think most homebrewers won't be drinking InBev beers much if at all and they are the most informed group about evils of InBev - buying a cheap bucket or beergun or a fermenter with InBev logo on it is not going to change our minds.

Maybe it will score with more traditional InBev product consumers - "We support craft brewers and homebrewers" but even then somehow I don't see why it's worth this purchase.

I have a crazy theory that maybe it's not as purposeful as we think. While BigBear fraction of market has been shrinking due to craft beer revolution, their profits and their cash flow is still gynormous. But most in the upper management are getting paranoid, so they got some cash to throw at "disruption", so they are trying random things, like buying brands that got big enough recognition (Lagunitas, Ballast Point, Goose Island, Firestone Walker etc.), in addition to Shock-top and other similar branding experiments.

Basically buying anything remotely related to this industry, that gets big enough, even if it means paying 5 or 10 times what it's actually worth (which is the case with Ballast Point in my opinion).

Maybe within 5-10 years NB could get big enough to become a major independent distributor of grain and hops and other ingredients to major small craft breweries and "nano-breweries". With large enough negotiating power and market share to threaten BigBeer. So Big Beer decided to cut this sprout before it grew too big to handle.

I don't think it's done with any concrete plan in mind. Just as precautionary measure because they have the cash on hand, and losing their market share, so why not do diversify a bit into homebrew and craft beer, maybe it will work to their benefit.

Regardless, I think we should all be very suspicious and resistant to these buyouts. Especially when the press release claims how everything will "remain the same". That's obviously a lie.

But they worked hard, built a great business, and served our community. We should all be happy for them.

I'm NOT happy for them. Sure. Sell your profitable business for a profit. That's business. WHO they sold it to its the problem. To me, it shows they have forgotten their homebrewing roots or never understood the spirit of homebrewing from the start.

I'm NOT happy for them. Sure. Sell your profitable business for a profit. That's business. WHO they sold it to its the problem. To me, it shows they have forgotten their homebrewing roots or never understood the spirit of homebrewing from the start.

I dont know, man. I don't think its for us to say who they should have sold to, particularly without knowing if there were any other bidders. They don't owe us anything.

So.. f'kin.. what.. lol.

Oh you're just trying to be different. Join be club of haters already.

I dont know, man. I don't think its for us to say who they should have sold to, particularly without knowing if there were any other bidders. They don't owe us anything.

Integrity man. That's what it comes down to for me. I guess it's too much to ask when million dollar bills are being waved about. You can't deny that they sold to nearly every homebrewers worst choice.

Says the guy without a multi-million dollar check in front of him.

It's the new American dream, build something, sell it to a multi-national conglomerate, profit. I work for a company whose goal is just that... I wish this were us.

It's the new American dream, build something, sell it to a multi-national conglomerate, profit. I work for a company whose goal is just that... I wish this were us.

I agree. Everyone has a price point. I don't blame NB owners.
It's a business decision.

If InBev showed up to your doorstep and offered 10x the price of your house in cash, the smart business decision is to sell. Most of us would sell.

Unlike companies like Ballast Point or Lagunitas (which do have a lot of fan base), I doubt Northern Brewer had a huge loyal fanbase of followers, who would never ever buy anything from MoreBeer or say Amazon, even if it cost them twice as much. The only reason people liked buying from NB is because prices were right. Maybe service wasn't too terrible, that always helps, but mostly it's about low prices and convenience. Lets not kid ourselves.

So it's a bit hypocritical for us homebrewers to call out NB for valuing $$$ (money) more than loyalty to us, customers when we as customers have far more loyalty to saving a few $$$ than loyalty to NB as a business.

I think I've had a scaled down version of this in front of me in the last year. I chose to not sell for the sake of my kids and grandkids. I tend to think of others though. Probably not a good business model.

I agree. Everyone has a price point. I don't blame NB owners.
It's a business decision.

If InBev showed up to your doorstep and offered 10x the price of your house in cash, the smart business decision is to sell. Most of us would sell.

Unlike companies like Ballast Point or Lagunitas (which do have a lot of fan base), I doubt Northern Brewer had a huge loyal fanbase of followers, who would never ever buy anything from MoreBeer or say Amazon, even if it cost them twice as much. The only reason people liked buying from NB is because prices were right. Maybe service wasn't too terrible, that always helps, but mostly it's about low prices and convenience. Lets not kid ourselves.

So it's a bit hypocritical for us homebrewers to call out NB for valuing $$$ (money) more than loyalty to us, customers when we as customers have far more loyalty to saving a few $$$ than loyalty to NB as a business.

When did you start homebrewing?

I think I've had a scaled down version of this in front of me in the last year. I chose to not sell for the sake of my kids and grandkids. I tend to think of others though. Probably not a good business model.

See, your situation is completely different... you were thinking of your kids and grandkids... not your customers or a commercial movement.

I'm bummed about the whole deal. I love Northern Brewer. Like the whole "appeal to the new brewer" comments I've read, I was one of those new brewers 4-5 years ago and NB was the go to store on hardware, ingredients, and brewing how to's.

Now they've sold their soul to the devil. Surely AB-InBev wasn't the only one wanting to buy them out, but they may have had the biggest check and that's what leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Chris Farley, you've let me down as a home brewer.

The irony is that AB-Inbev lobbies against changing beer laws to be more friendly to homebrewers. Don't believe me? Look up the issues with transport laws, laws about bringing beer into an establishment for competitions, and other patchwork quilt laws that limit the homebrewer.

Yes, they are most often ignored laws, but still laws that were lobbied for by AB-Inbev.

I'm bummed about the whole deal. I love Northern Brewer. Like the whole "appeal to the new brewer" comments I've read, I was one of those new brewers 4-5 years ago and NB was the go to store on hardware, ingredients, and brewing how to's.

Now they've sold their soul to the devil. Surely AB-InBev wasn't the only one wanting to buy them out, but they may have had the biggest check and that's what leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Chris Farley, you've let me down as a home brewer.

If you have turned down a raise or turned down a job, then you can be disappointed.

Don't count their money for them.

I do not get the panic! Until changes happen this is all a bunch of to do over nothing besides a chance for NB to grow even bigger and better!

"First, nothing will fundamentally change as the result of this deal. Our entire leadership team will remain intact and our company will continue to be independent. Our staff of dedicated employees will continue to serve our customers and help our industry innovate. Our culture will remain as it is today: vibrant, energetic, fair and dedicated to our mission and to you.

Second, this partnership with ZX Ventures is about growing our company and providing our customers with unparalleled opportunities. This deal will make us stronger and able to pursue our passion with even greater focus, better tools and ingredients."

What does that mean??

It's a pivot. He is saying {translating}: I disagree with your point of view so let's make this personal.

My point is very simple: it is easy to talk in absolutes and how NB are "traitors" etc., but it takes a little more effort to try and put yourself in other people's situation and see their perspective. I do see NB owners perspective: I won't blame them for "selling out", aka cashing in on their business, if the deal is much better than fair (hearing of Constellation acquisition of Ballast Point - 1B for $50M a year business? that's crazy! - I don't doubt they have cash to make an offer owners can't refuse) and if their life circumstances dictate it.

Those of you who say they would have never sold out to InBev, good for you, but think again. Everyone, every business has a price. You are delusional if you think you don't.

How much $$$ do you make a year?
If I offered 50 times that for you to retire right now, would you take it?

I'd like to throw my name in the hat jic leon isn't down. Thank you for your consideration!

And, back on topic, you guys can carry a note! I'm a long-time, avid homebrewer, intimately involved in it, and I still don't give a crap about this acquisition. If it was my LHBS, I'd probably be stoked. Outside of the area, who cares?

Man o man, I just made a saison and split it in half. Half of it is ginger'ed. That's some serious ginger. Neighbor took a sip, grimaced, and said "that's rough". I like ginger. I wonder if InBev can affect the price of ginger. Foil hat!

I'd like to throw my name in the hat jic leon isn't down. Thank you for your consideration!

And, back on topic, you guys can carry a note! I'm a long-time, avid homebrewer, intimately involved in it, and I still don't give a crap about this acquisition. If it was my LHBS, I'd probably be stoked. Outside of the area, who cares?

Man o man, I just made a saison and split it in half. Half of it is ginger'ed. That's some serious ginger. Neighbor took a sip, grimaced, and said "that's rough". I like ginger. I wonder if InBev can affect the price of ginger. Foil hat!

Thank You, that's part of my argument in my original post:

If it's some evil conspiracy to rid of all, or most, or even, some homebrewers - I just don't get it.

Unlike commercial brewers, we don't care too much about margins - if my 5G homebrews started costing me $30 instead of $25, or even $50 instead of $25, I would still brew. Hell, even $100 - my time is worth a lot more. And if you look at the expensive "toys" we tend to buy, it's clear we are not in this hobby just to save some $.

I personally don't see Northern Brewer as some sort of innovator of homebrewing - it's just a distributor of goods. And if the grand conspiracy is to corner the market on Big Mouth Bubblers or East Coast IPA extract kits, just so they can make a killing by charing 10 times more once they drive some LHBS out of business - good luck to that plan!

I think NB is awesome. I'm guessing they will still be awesome. I read their impressive catalogs. I don't buy from them because I build most of my own equipment, because I don't value my own time and I know I can build it 50% as good as they can for twice as much $$. But dammit, I'm a DIY guy :)

I buy ingredients local. It probably costs more, but I love my local. I consider the owner a friend, and there's some value there.

What are the specs on your saison?

FWIW I don't begrudge the previous owners of NB their windfall. If someone is smart enough, and ballsy enough to invest their own money into a business, and weather it through rough financial times, and grow it until it's big enough and profitable enough for someone to offer a bunch of money for it, then good for them!

But based on past experience with denying credit card fraud happened, when it did, and with the whole glass BMB fiasco, I simply choose to buy my stuff from other online stores when I buy online. Add in the fact that I don't care to support the massive automated factories brewing BMC, and I'll happily continue to purchase from other sources.

Now I see Bud is testing a driverless semi to haul it's beer across the country. Some day there will be no truck driver jobs. What are those people going to do? We're automating ourselves into extinction.

Now I see Bud is testing a driverless semi to haul it's beer across the country. Some day there will be no truck driver jobs. What are those people going to do? We're automating ourselves into extinction.

Not so much Bud as it is Uber. They've been testing in Pittsburg and San Fran for a while, IIUC. It starts with Taxi's. Only makes sense to evolve into commercial freight.

Latest posts

Back