Please Help with an extract Dunkel recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lexstarwalker

Reaction score
I am wanting to make a Dunkelweizen using extract brewing. The closest thing I've found is the clone recipe for Schneider Weisse in BYO's 250 Classic Clone Recipes.

There is an all-grain and an extract version of the recipe. The all-grain recipe consists of:
7.4 lbs Weyermann pale wheat malt
1.85 lbs Weyermann Pilsner malt
1.85 lbs Weyermann Vienna malt
0.53 lbs Caramunich Type III malt

While the extract recipe contains only
8.2 pounds Weyermann Bavarian Hefeweizen liquid malt extract

My first question is could I add some/all of the malts in the all-grain recipe as steeping grains to the extract recipe to give it a more dunkel flavor and color? As written, the extract recipe seems that it will produce a regular hefeweizen, not a dunkel. If I can do this, how much of each malt should I use? How long should I steep them for?

My second question has to do with the yeast. Both versions of the recipe recommend either White Labs WLP380 Hefeweizen IV Ale yeast or Wyeast 3068 Weihenstephan Weizen yeast. I was considering using Wyeast 3638 Bavarian wheat yeast instead. Which of these 3 strains would you recommend to give the most authentic Bavarian tasting Hefeweizen? I am looking for one that will have the characteristic clove and banana flavors.

My third question is does anyone know of a better recipe for a dunkel? I am making this for my fiancee, and her favorite dunkel is Maisel's.

Thank you!

FWIW, I have morebeer.com's Dunkelweizen kit fermenting right now. It includes (for a 5 gal batch) 6 lb Bavarian Wheat DME, 8 oz Caramunich, 4 oz Pale Chocolate Malt, 4 oz Carafa Special II Malt, and 1 oz Perle bittering hops. The kit comes with Safbrew T-58, but I'm using Wyeast 3068. Can't really tell you about authenticity; I only knew that I liked Weihenstephan beer, so that yeast seemed like a good bet.

I can't really compare those two recipes (this is my first beer), but I like what I'm seeing so far from my brew.

I'm planning on kegging the Dunkel this weekend, so should have a decent feel for it a week or so after that. I know I've seen other Dunkel recipes here in the recipe boards, too.

I recently brewed the windriver Dunkel extract kit and it's pretty tasty. recipe is:

6lbs Wheat Malt Extract,
3.3 lbs Dark Malt Extract,
1 oz. Tettnanger bittering hops,
1 oz. Tettnanger aroma hops,
1/2 lb. Carapils & 1/2 lb. Crystal 60°L
Bavarian Wheat Wyeast Activator yeast

May want to also check out Northern Brewer Dunkelweizen Extract Kit. I plan on brewing this after my stout

Recipe/Instructions

FERMENTABLES
- 3.15 lbs Munich malt syrup (60 min)
- 3.15 lbs Wheat malt syrup late addition (15 min)
- 1 lbs Amber dry malt extract late addition (15 min)
HOPS & FLAVORINGS
- 1 oz Tettnang (60 min)
YEAST
- WYEAST 3068 WEIHENSTEPHAN WHEAT.
Unique top-fermenting yeast which produces the unique and spicy weizen character, rich with clove, vanilla and banana. Best results are achieved when fermentations are held around 68° F. Apparent attenuation: 73-77%. Flocculation: low. Optimum temp: 64°-75° F.
- DRY YEAST ALTERNATIVE: DANSTAR MUNICH WHEAT BEER YEAST.
Optimum temp: 55°-66° F

Took a FG sample this evening, and figured I might as well taste it rather than pour it down the drain. Accounting for it being warm and flat, it tastes pretty good to me--close enough (to my uneducated palate) to Franziskaner or Weihenstephaner Dunkel for me, anyway.

Thanks to everyone who's posted. It's definitely helping me figure things out.

Dan, I think if the beer is tasting decent now, that's definitely a good sign! I'm a big fan of Franziskaner hefeweizen, but my fiancee is the dunkel fan. :)

Latest posts

Back