Please help me understand how to use my municipal water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cjbalough

Reaction score
So, just jumping from extract and partial mash to all grain. To date I haven't used my local water and have been buying a mix of distilled and spring water. I did try a couple batches with RO water from a machine at a local health food store bit ended up with medicinal flavors.

Below is an annual water summary. If i did try to use my municipal water can I just use a charcoal filter and perhaps a campden tablet, or do I need to do more? Wondering it it is worth it & I hate spending extra $ on water.

http://cfo.cityofcf.com/web/sites/default/files/imce/water/2014CCR.pdf

I looked at this report. It doesn't appear to have the information you need to make it usable. I'd get a formal test done from Ward Labs if you're serious about improving your water. They have one specifically geared toward brewers.

I still cut my city water with 50% RO/distilled water to make it easier to build back up. I have very hard water. Diluting it is the only option I have.

Overall though, you're probably fine if you at least use the campden and the water filter. That will get you part of the way there and get rid of the chlorine/chloramine issues.

To start out I'd do the following:
  • Read a book on water or browse through the water chemistry postings on this forum.
  • Get yourself a water calculator. Bruin Water or EZ-Water are good examples. People will argue about which is best. I use EZ-Water, but that's just because it's the first one I tried.
  • Plug in the numbers from your water report.
  • Always use a charcoal filter
  • Always use a 1/2 crushed campden to get rid of chlorine and chloramine.
  • Get yourself a pH meter. All the calculators in the world are worthless without being able to verify your results.

So, just jumping from extract and partial mash to all grain.

... If i did try to use my municipal water can I just use a charcoal filter and perhaps a campden tablet, or do I need to do more? Wondering it it is worth it & I hate spending extra $ on water.

http://cfo.cityofcf.com/web/sites/default/files/imce/water/2014CCR.pdf

b-boy is right, that isn't the kind of info you need. if you are curious you should get the water test from Ward Labs, they have one for brewers and it's easy to do.

But here's a radical idea. The water test will cost you more than the ingredients for a simple 5 gallon batch. It sounds like you've never tried brewing with your water, why don't you to a test batch? No need to try to filter it if it tastes good out of the tap.

You never know, you might be pleased with your results, and save some cash in the process!

I don't intend to hijack his thread, but just today I started my first thoughts about water chemistry.

So if I could pose a question which may help both of us,

Outside of basic 10" filtering canisters which I use, How much could a person expect to spend to be able to not only do a home water chemistry test - or at least PH test and the cost of the materials to change the water chemistry on their municipal water source?

OP, thanks for the thread. I'll be following.

Ken

In case the OP or anyone else is wondering about costs. I use pickling lime, gypsum, Epsom salts, and baking soda from time to time to modify my water according to what's called out in Bru'n Water.

Each of these things is available in bulk at supermarkets for little money. The amounts you're like to use are miniscule. My recent RIS called for 3.9 grams of gypsum and 7.8 grams of pickling lime.

What you do need though is a very accurate scale.

Try calling your water department, and ask them for a full report on all ions and hardness. Tell them you need it for brewing. Many water depts will provide this information if you ask, but as alwasy YMMV.

Brew on :mug:

I don't intend to hijack his thread, but just today I started my first thoughts about water chemistry.

So if I could pose a question which may help both of us,

Outside of basic 10" filtering canisters which I use, How much could a person expect to spend to be able to not only do a home water chemistry test - or at least PH test and the cost of the materials to change the water chemistry on their municipal water source?

OP, thanks for the thread. I'll be following.

Ken

None at all. If the flow is slow enough, it may remove chloramines if the filter is good. But otherwise, filtering won't remove alkalinity or other things like calcium or magnesium.

In case the OP or anyone else is wondering about costs. I use pickling lime, gypsum, Epsom salts, and baking soda from time to time to modify my water according to what's called out in Bru'n Water.

Each of these things is available in bulk at supermarkets for little money. The amounts you're like to use are miniscule. My recent RIS called for 3.9 grams of gypsum and 7.8 grams of pickling lime.

What you do need though is a very accurate scale.

I agree. The chemicals needed are very cheap. I use Epsom salts, gypsum, CaCl, and baking soda in varying combinations.

I accidently mis-ordered my gypsum. I have 5 lbs. that will last me the rest of my life.

A pH meter can be expensive. A good scale is imperative, but is generally pretty cheap.

Try calling your water department, and ask them for a full report on all ions and hardness. Tell them you need it for brewing. Many water depts will provide this information if you ask, but as alwasy YMMV.

Brew on :mug:

I've taken it one step further, I've asked him to come join me for a brew day. He also happens to be a Paramedic and works with our service part time. I kidded with him on the phone just a second ago to send me some Munich water down the pipe this weekend.

He's going to e-mail me our water profile in a few. I also sent him the Excel sheet for the Brun Water file. I'm going to take a stab at this, but honestly, this reminds me of what I took up carpentry in school instead of science. lol

Ken

I've taken it one step further, I've asked him to come join me for a brew day. He also happens to be a Paramedic and works with our service part time. I kidded with him on the phone just a second ago to send me some Munich water down the pipe this weekend.

He's going to e-mail me our water profile in a few. I also sent him the Excel sheet for the Brun Water file. I'm going to take a stab at this, but honestly, this reminds me of what I took up carpentry in school instead of science. lol

Ken

Now, that was a stroke of genius! And he will be the perfect guy to explain the water chemistry thing.

Ken

I've just started using Brun Water too. It's complicated at first, but the instructions are excellent so keep at it. My understanding is that Chlorine can be filtered out with a carbon block filter at a slow flow rate (around 1/2 gallon a minute) but that it's not practical to filter out chloramines that way, so you'll want to confirm how your water is being treated.

Ok so
1 - short answer - yes, try it (muni water, house carbon filter + campden)
2 - long answer - go all in and get a better understanding of my water chemistry and adjust to suit.

I'll call the water dept to see if I can get anything. Regardless, I think I'll wait a month or so and continue to use bottled in the meantime - don't want to make a bad batch while I'm trying to stock up a few cases of good beer for the holidays.

:off:
I have an anecdote for municipal water. I've always heard that municipal water changes over time, thus testing is not really that valuable.

I tested my water using Wards Lab about 4 years ago.

I recently moved and decided to retest the water at my new house. I assumed it would be significantly different, since I moved about 10 miles from my old house.

When I retested the water, it was spot on from my original 4 yr. old samples. I was a little surprised by that. I guess I need to give credit to the water authority for being able to consistently produce the same water profile.

Although, I'd love it if they could reduce some of the hardness. It can be a pain to work with, and my faucets bathroom fixtures would probably last longer too.

Back