Please help - hops substitute ratio!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bredstein

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am making a minimash NXNW Black Ale from AHS. The recipe calls for 1 oz of Cascade (60 min), but I decided to go with Centennial. The reason is simple - they didn't have leaf Cascade, and I don't like pellets. Now, the question is: if alpha number of Centennial is twice as much (10 vs 5), should I also reduce its amount proportionally by half? Or maybe do 3/4 oz for 60, and the rest at 5-10 min at the end? What do you think?

The effect on bitterness will be the same if you cut the Centennial to 1/2 oz for 60 min.

Additions at other times (or increasing the Centennial at 60min) will impact the overall bitterness, as well as changing your flavor/aroma profile a bit, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

What is your target IBU?

oz X AA x boiling factor = IBU

The factor for 60 min is 4 so if the Centennial is 7.5 AA it's IBU contribution would be 1 x 7.5 x 4 = 30 IBU's

The factor for a 30 min boil is 1.4, for aromatic hops it's .7

These factors are for 5 gallon batches, you can adjust as a proportion if your batch size is different.

Latest posts

Back