Please Analyze My Water Analysis

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WarEagleBrewer

Reaction score
I just got my results back from Ward Labs. I'm running great tasting well water out in the country, and I've been making great tasting beers (light and dark). This test doesn't include Iron and Phosphorus. I had another, less complete test done before that included those. Iron is less than 0.1ppm and Phosphorus is 1ppm. I'd love your input (opinions) on what might could be improved by adjusting my water. Thanks!

water report.PNG

Looks like a good starting point with such low sodium cloride, and sulfate. pH is a little high so you'll likely need some acid to get down to mash pH. Download Bru'n Water and input your info and it will tell you what to add.

Your alkalinity is high, and the mash could benefit from some acid (especially in lighter colored beers), and it's too high for sparging without adding some acid.

You will want to add lactic or phosphoric acid to your sparge water to neutralize the alkalinity.

Additional I'd use calcium chloride and/or gypsum (for highly hopped beers) to bring the calcium to 50-70 ppm for all beers (except perhaps light lagers).

Looks like a good starting point with such low sodium cloride, and sulfate. pH is a little high so you'll likely need some acid to get down to mash pH. Download Bru'n Water and input your info and it will tell you what to add.

The water pH doesn't matter, it's the alkalinity and buffering capacity that matters. But while the premise is wrong, the conclusion is correct. Some acid to keep mash and sparge pH in check. And come calcium chloride and gypsum will often be helpful too.

Oh and +1 on Bru'n Water

Back