Playing with Salinity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

r4dyce

Reaction score
Wondering if people ever play with salt when it comes to beer? I understand the gose style usually includes some salt. And of course there are brewing salts which I understand help in the actual chemistry of some (all?) Styles on beer depending on your water profile.
I'm wondering specifically if anyone ever adds salt to the final product?
My reasoning is similar to adding salt to coffee, or really any food. Salt helps bring out flavors and smooths out some bitterness in the final product. It's the same reason you salt a steak or add salt even to sweet things like cakes, chocolate or ice cream. My instincts say adding salt to a beer would bring out more flavors.
Does anyone do this, or have any thoughts on this?

I have brewed only one Gose, and I used 3/4 teaspoon sea salt. It turned out great, and everybody loved it. You could taste the salt, but it really didn't taste salty. There was enough salt flavor to let you know it was there, but not enough to overpower the other flavors. It must have just been luck that I had just enough salt to balance the tart/sourness of the lactic acid in the Gose. Also, there are some brews that I may add 1/8 to 1/4 tsp. of salt to help round out the flavor. At those low levels, there is really no detectable salty taste at all.

Latest posts

Back