Played the internet keg lottery- did I lose?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PPRK

Reaction score
Was looking for some used kegs that were the dimensions of the coke (pin) style corny keg that were converted over to ball lock style. Found something similar, so I ordered it online.

What I received was a corny keg that had a company called "Doosan" on the rubber ends but what looks like a Chinese star stamped on the front.

Whats the story with this manufacturer? Food grade stainless?

I wish if a online keg retailer sells used kegs that they would have the decency to say that these kegs are not from the US....

Was looking for some used kegs that were the dimensions of the coke (pin) style corny keg that were converted over to ball lock style. Found something similar, so I ordered it online.

What I received was a corny keg that had a company called "Doosan" on the rubber ends but what looks like a Chinese star stamped on the front.

I wish if a online keg retailer sells used kegs that they would have the decency to say that these kegs are not from the US....

Huh? Why does it matter where it was made? What I would be more concerned about would be what was previously in it.
Where did you buy it from - do you have a link?

I think the OP is concerned about China made kegs because there are many threads across many forums about their stainless kegs leaving a nasty metallic taste in the beer. From the few I've read it was either because other components used in the keg, like the puppets, the dip tube, etc weren't stainless when the keg itself was. That, or the keg was made from some low quality stainless steel that somehow leeched metallic taste into the beer. I don't think he's trying to be a "gotta be 'merican or else!" kinda guy. Just do some online searching about Chinese keg complaints and you'll see it's not something to just brush off.

Rev.

Weird, tried to edit my phone's correction of poppet's and the edit link is gone. Ph well, I didn't mean "puppets" lol.

Rev.

Weird, tried to edit my phone's correction of poppet's and the edit link is gone. Ph well, I didn't mean "puppets" lol.

Rev.

You did and HBT knows it so it won't let you change your mind now.

The no edit button is affecting a lot of people at the moment (seems to be no paid members only though)

Is that for new kegs though, I might be assuming to much but I got the feeling this was a used keg

I bought it from Adventures in home brewing.

Link: http://www.homebrewing.org/5-Gallon-Low-Profile-Keg-Used-_p_3545.html

Im just worried about lower quality metals being used...

Thought it was because that was the only listing that came up when I searched for Doosan keg. Does it look like the one in the picture? If it does I would say you are good, a lot of corny kegs are not manufactured by the Cornelius company. If you are worried put a cheap batch of light ale through it - that should bring out any off flavours and should be easy to pick up without much else trying to hide it.

I'm a new member and just found this thread. I'm a newbie to kegging, and today I also received a Doosan keg from AIH as part of a starter kit. My issue/confusion is that BOTH of the post nuts have grooves (the "IN" has 1 groove and the "OUT" has 2 grooves). I contacted AIH and they are trying to figure out what it is I have, and I may have to send photos to help sort this out.

In the meantime, I found this profile of the Doosan Corporation: http://kr.kompass.com/c/doosan-corporation/kr002156/

And here's the corporate site:
http://www.doosan.com/en/main.do

In a nutshell, they are the oldest company in Korea, been in business for 118 years(!!), and among a zillion other things they manufacture all sorts of beverage containers across all industries (soda, beer, wine, spirits), and apparently claim Budweiser (I assume US not Czech) as as client.

So my only worry is that my beer will taste like Bud.

Anyone else have a funky grooved nut thing going on? :confused:

Erika

PS - Okay, I have to have faith in this keg since Doosan also supplied some US nuclear power plants with core components.

...My issue/confusion is that BOTH of the post nuts have grooves (the "IN" has 1 groove and the "OUT" has 2 grooves)...
Anyone else have a funky grooved nut thing going on? :confused:

I would not worry too much about the number of grooves on the posts. There is a great variety between the posts on all the common soda kegs I would say that this is just the way Doosan decided to differentiate between their posts - all that matters is the top part are the correct shape/size, and given that the 2 posts are different I would be more confident that they are good than if they were identical.
You can see the different common styles on this page http://www.dresselbrew.com/Keg_Info.htm

I would not worry too much about the number of grooves on the posts. There is a great variety between the posts on all the common soda kegs I would say that this is just the way Doosan decided to differentiate between their posts - all that matters is the top part are the correct shape/size, and given that the 2 posts are different I would be more confident that they are good than if they were identical.
You can see the different common styles on this page http://www.dresselbrew.com/Keg_Info.htm

Thanks for the link here! I hear what you're saying and I'm not worried about using these posts. I am in contact with AIH to try to identify them so I know what I would need in the future should I need to replace them (as well as what kind of poppits to use). Based on your link and other images of posts I've looked at, I'm leaning towards them being type "C" as they seem pretty tall and the nut part is pretty thick as well. AFAIK this keg is converted from a pin-lock style so that only muddies the waters further.

Oh - just got a reply from AIH. They need to see some photos as they are stumped. I'll post what I learn here to hopefully help someone else avoid confusion.

Erika

Back