Plated brett

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wmcc75

Reaction score
Hello all,
I have kind of an interesting question. I recently started plating yeast and the other day I thought I'd try plating some brett from a bottle of Goose island sofie. I have stuff growing on the plate and it doesn't really look like yeast but it also doesn't look like other things I've grown. So my question is does brett look different then yeast on a plate? And does anyone have any pics of what they know is brett growing on a plate? I'm at work now but will try to get a pic when I get home.
Thanks in advance,
Will

Very cool, thank you. I spent a good bit of time searching the Web earlier (granted I was on my phone at work) and didn't manage to stumble across that site. The stuff I have growing looks similar to the brett b in those pics, I sent goose island an email trying to learn what is in the sofie.

FWIW Sofie should be a mixed culture of brewer's yeast, brett, and bacteria.

Oh cool I didn't know it had bacteria in it as well, I knew brett and yeast. I did this kinda just for fun to see what would grow, bacteria will make the mix all the more fun.

Well I heard back from g.i. all they said was it is brewed with brett and yeast. Wouldn't say what kind or anything like that. I'm sorry I haven't gotten any pics up yet.

i don't taste any bacteria flavors (lactic acid) in sofie, and i've never heard of them using bacteria in it.... i'm pretty sure it's just saison yeast and brett.

I don't either, but I could swear I read somewhere that they assume there is some bacteria from the orange peel in secondary. A quick search doesn't turn up anything, though. Guess I was wrong.

I don't either, but I could swear I read somewhere that they assume there is some bacteria from the orange peel in secondary. A quick search doesn't turn up anything, though. Guess I was wrong.
ah, that would make sense, but i suspect that the amount and type of bacteria that are on the peels wouldn't stand much of a chance once dunked into a fermented beer. so it's there, somewhere, not doing much...

The email (not surprisingly) was very vague about that. Does anyone know if brett will form a pellicle on a plate?

ah, that would make sense, but i suspect that the amount and type of bacteria that are on the peels wouldn't stand much of a chance once dunked into a fermented beer. so it's there, somewhere, not doing much...

You're right, and there's enough BS on that label without me adding to it. Hints of vanilla? Come on, guys.

Back