Plate chiller question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ben2904

Reaction score
I tried to look for an answer to this question but found nothing.

My question is, instead of using the recirculation technique, why not just use the plate chiller the normal way (wasting some water) and put the entire thing inside of a freezing cold ice water bucket.

As I see it, it only can make both the wort and the cooling water colder and make the whole process shorter to get to pitching temps.

What do you think?

That's exactly what I will be trying next brew. I have seen some other posts where the tap water goes through a pre chill bucket of water to further lower the temp but I'm tempted to try this instead.

I guess this is a bit different that recirculation though in that you are rapidly lowering the temp of a little wort at a time whereas with wort recirculation you are lowering the whole worts temperature, thus achieving a better cold break (at least as far as I understand).

I tried to look for an answer to this question but found nothing.

My question is, instead of using the recirculation technique, why not just use the plate chiller the normal way (wasting some water) and put the entire thing inside of a freezing cold ice water bucket.

As I see it, it only can make both the wort and the cooling water colder and make the whole process shorter to get to pitching temps.

What do you think?

It'll work better for a while, but then it will work worse. While the ice/water in the bucket is colder than the chilling water going through the chiller, you're good, but once that bucket water gets warmer than your chilling water, it's worse.

And, it won't work that much better. The surface area of the outside of the chiller is nowhere near the internal surface area. So, it's far better to pump the icewater through the chiller than to surround the chiller as you describe.

That's all theoretical, I could be wrong :) BTW, I haven't used ice in 5 years. I just use my plate chiller to get the beer down to room temperature, then put the carboys in the fridge to get them the rest of the way (takes a few hours) then pitch the yeast.

In the past, before my chiller was mounted to my stand, I tried this method. It was during summer brews. I would fill a bucket with ice water, submerge the chiller, and recirc. It provided a noticeable difference, but it wasnt substantial. Plus I had to dump the bucket, refill with ice water, and repeat. It could probably help if you are looking to get down those last few degrees though.

Back