Plate Chiller Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

auto

ARC Brewing
Reaction score
Today was so nice, garden hose to Chirron Plate Chiller, Boiling Wort into Plate Chiller, Boiling Wort down to 64 degrees in 6 minutes.:rockin:

Now for the issue, living in Dallas, there is only about 3 months out of the year that this works. I have the plate chiller, spare March Pump, and anything needed for an ice bath.

What I am missing to pumping in ice water through the March into the plate chiller. Tried and it and it did not work, did not seem to have enough power.

Time to build a pre-chiller with some cheap copper coil from HD or your old IC chiller if you have one. Drop the coil into a bucket of ice water and run your garden hose water into the pre-chiller, then out to the shirron. Should work well in the summer.

Time to build a pre-chiller with some cheap copper coil from HD or your old IC chiller if you have one. Drop the coil into a bucket of ice water and run your garden hose water into the pre-chiller, then out to the shirron. Should work well in the summer.

I knew I was missing something easy, I was hoping to get buy without any additional purchases, but I should have known better.;)

Or better yet, pack up and move to Minnesota!! Even in the summer I don't have a problem with my plate chiller!

I love Dallas, used to live there part time...

i use an eight dollar small pond pump from Lowes to pump the ice water through my plate chiller and a March 809 to pump the wort through. It works great, uses a lot less water than just running the cold water from the hose and I can throttle the ice water or the wort flow rates to get the final temp I need. I consistently chill to pitching temps in about 5 minutes.

get a small pond pump, some tubing and a cheap brass valve (no need for a SS valve as this end will never touch the wort).

This set up also makes cleaning easy. I made a jumper to connect the wort to the water ports and then I drop my pond pump in PBW to flush and clean the chiller. I let it run each way (back-flush then forward) for about fifteen minutes each while I clean other stuff up and then I flush it with StarSan to get the PBW out. Also because Blichman recommends flushing with StarSan as the acid helps keep things cleaner.

Back