Plate chiller as HERMS or RIMS?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

btienk

Reaction score
Would I be able to use my plate chiller to heat my wort instead of cooling it? My reasoning for this is if I want to do step mashing, run hot water through to heat the wort through my steps. Is this a horrible idea? I would also be using my plate chiller to cool my wort after the boil, but I'm on a tight budget so I'm all about getting the most out of all of my equipment.

I wouldn't recommend it because of the chances of clogging it up with bits of grain and husks. I have lots of that stuff flowing through my HERMS for the first few minutes until the grain bed sets up.

Get a 25' or 50' emersion chiller and put it in your HLT. You can recirculate your wort through it with a pump. Use your HLT to heat your wort to your mash temp. You will need some way to manage temp control and read your wort temp. My set up works great. Clear wort and good to great efficiency too.

Back