Plastic water lines suck.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hemidoc

Reaction score
Just wanna get this out there to warn folks.
Those plastic lines that go from your water cut offs under your cabinets to your faucets can blow off.
I had one come off under my bath sink. Came home to a lake in my bedroom and bath.
These had been in place since the house was new in 2005.
Did $11k in damage. Insurance guy said he gets a lot of those lines coming off causing damage.
I've replaced all of mine now with stainless braided lines. Only $6 each. Cheap compared to the headache of water damage.

Can't say that I've seen such a thing as plastic extensions. Sorry, bud. That stinks.

They are plastic tubes with a compression fitting on the end.
I'd post a pic but I've replaced them now.
Anyway just warning folks. If they have them replace them before you have a problem.
Thanks for your concern. Insurance is paying to fix it.

This type blew out under the kitchen sink at one of my rental properties, insurance covered most of the damage, and then dropped me:confused: I have since changed out the fittings at all my properties:

8df7e2d3-46e7-424b-8899-9600823f3e6c_1000.jpg

Even the stainless braided ones need periodic replacement. Also might help to have your water pressure checked. If high, then it's a repeat problem waiting to happen. The blown line could be an indicator of a root cause.

btw, it's not just the sinks you need to think about. Toilet, dishwasher, and clothes washer supply lines should all be checked.

One morning in our lower level den I heard a little drip. Tracing the sound, I noticed a small stream of water coming down a shelf in one of the closets. I traced it to coming from above, the first floor...

...there was a small puddle forming under the fridge. Apparently the icemaker line to said fridge had suddenly developed a pinhole, and started spraying water. It must had started only very recently, as it accumulated half a bucket in the next hour. The damage was contained to a few wet box bottoms, and a wet towel.

I can hardly imagine the mess it would have made if I wasn't home that day, or if we were out for a few days, or a week...

I replaced the line with the same 1/4" polyethylene for $0.28 a foot, but wonder if there is a better option. From what I've read, many lines with braided shields are not flavor neutral. I think copper is out too.

Why would a line like that suddenly develop a pinhole in the middle? It wasn't damaged, crimped or chafing anywhere in that area.

Why would a line like that suddenly develop a pinhole in the middle? It wasn't damaged, crimped or chafing anywhere in that area.

The same reason the 2007 Fusion we bought developed a pin hole in the power steering return line. Under a tie down strap. Wrapped around a thick rubber protection band. Because of a manufacturing flaw.

We replaced the replacement hose a year later, which had a nearly identical pinhole in nearly the identical location (But not under the tie down strap, rather just next to it.

Knowing how plastic lines are formed, I very surprised it could come flawed like that from the factory unless their QC was very lax. So I have to imagine it was. Probably low cost imported stock.

There is no reason compression fittings should come off the plastic tubing, if they're well made. I can't see either how the SS shield is going to hold the compression fittings on any better. But it may help in preventing mechanical damage to the tubing from outside forces (hard to picture, really, given their usual location), and blow out if a weak spot "develops." Again there should be no reason for any of that to happen in a well made tubing assembly.

There is no reason compression fittings should come off the plastic tubing,
If the person installing them doesn't makes a mistake and doesn't insert the tube fully or doesn't torque the nut enough.
I believe the SS braid would keep it from blowing completely off like mine did.

Back