Plastic or copper?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rferguson61

Reaction score
I'm making my mash tun and wondering what's better to use...PVC or copper? Pros and cons of each?

Okay I've only braised once and I'm not good at it so a slip together pipe set up sounds more my level for now. Do you have to glue the joins or can they just be slip fit?

Dunno... I think some people glue their PCV manifolds together, but others just fit it all together, so that it can be taken apart and cleaned easily... I like the way I did it... Used one of the bazooka screens and connected it to the ball valve nipple (inside the cooler) with a few inches of silicon tubing. works great and I don't need to worry about anything.

Again, personal choice... If you're handy, and want to, build your own. Just know that it's not your only option.

I would use CPVC, which is different than PVC and is rated for hot water applications.

Yeah PVC wont hold up to mash temps let alone sparge temp. Question. I bought the 5 gal orange igloo cooler that i see on here so often...is that big enough? Midwest supplies says you need a 10 gal for a mash tun but everyone on here seems to like the 5 gals. thanks.

wilserbrewer said:
Stainless braid....batch sparge:mug:

What are the benefits of a braid over a manifold? And I was told and have read that fly sparging is much better than batch

Back