Plastic flavour on a new hose

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wirk

Reaction score
I bought a new hose for my bottling equipment, and the thing is, the plastic flavour of it won't go away... I already tried lemon juice, sodium bicarbonate, vinegar and a strong liquor mixed with tabasco.

Do you have any idea how to get rid of that flavour?

If you just used any old vinyl tubing from a big box store, get some that is food grade. Either order it from an only HBS or get some from your LHBS. If you got it from HD/Lowe's, just because it LOOKS like the same stuff, doesn't mean it is.

This probably won't be constructive but is it food grade vinyl? If not i would replace the hose.

This might be it, I just bought the hose, I assumed it was food grade.

Is there an easy way to check if it's food grade?

Wirk said:
This might be it, I just bought the hose, I assumed it was food grade.

Is there an easy way to check if it's food grade?

I doubt there is any way to confirm one way or another if food grade. If you buy from your local brew house then it is most likely food grade, if you buy on amazon make sure it says food grade in the page.

I doubt there is any way to confirm one way or another if food grade. If you buy from your local brew house then it is most likely food grade, if you buy on amazon make sure it says food grade in the page.

Get it from HD, and ask if it's food grade, and you'll either be looked at funny, or told yes or no (50/50 shot of either answer being correct)... IMO, it's worth any cost difference to get the tubing you KNOW is safe and won't pass along flavors.

Get it from HD, and ask if it's food grade, and you'll either be looked at funny, or told yes or no (50/50 shot of either answer being correct)... IMO, it's worth any cost difference to get the tubing you KNOW is safe and won't pass along flavors.

I just came back from HD.

I looked on the internet for a list of food grade plastics, then I went with the list to HD, but their hoses didn't have specifications(except for sizes), when I asked the guy there if the hoses are food grade they looked at me funny:)D, just like you said), then I asked for the material they are made of, he looked at me and replied "plastic".

Then another employee came and told me the materials of the hoses(the one I bought first wasn't food grade, but they had one that was of a food grade material (so I bought that one).

I just came back from HD.

I looked on the internet for a list of food grade plastics, then I went with the list to HD, but their hoses didn't have specifications(except for sizes), when I asked the guy there if the hoses are food grade they looked at me funny:)D, just like you said), then I asked for the material they are made of, he looked at me and replied "plastic".

Then another employee came and told me the materials of the hoses(the one I bought first wasn't food grade, but they had one that was of a food grade material (so I bought that one).

Funny how it doesn't matter where you are, almost all the HD/Lowe's stores are the same that way. Hopefully, the hose you got tonight won't pass along any off flavors to the brews. Good way to test would be to set a piece in some clean water (distilled, filtered, etc.) over night and then taste it the next day. If you don't get any plastic/off flavors from it, then you're good.

Back