Plastic bottles durability

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dbmasters

Reaction score
Hey gang,

I have been brewing beer for a while, just got into root beer, and have been saving the 16 oz Mike's Lemonade plastic bottles. My first batch of Gnome Root Beer turned out great, the whole family loves it...but I am nervous about the bottles...after the first batch the bottles seem more "cracky" sounding and it appears that the bottles are actually two layers of plastic, and that the two layers separated a little, which is causing the cracking.

I am wondering if anyone else has experienced this, or, if these bottles can stand the test of time. I assume this was caused by the pressure of carbonation that Mike's didn't have. I also have a batch of hard lemonade that I will be bottling in them within a couple weeks.

Is this crackly sound anything that should make me concerned with the integrity of the bottle, or just something that happens after a bottle is used a couple times?

Thanks, and happy brewing!

I don't think the hard lemonade is carbed to nearly the amount of soda carbonation. I'd use some soda bottles, as they definitely do hold up to the carbonation of soda. I like the 16 ounce size coke/pepsi plastic bottles.

Back