Plastic after taste in some brews

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tmmeekins

Reaction score
Hi all...I have a question on the plastic after taste that I have found to trouble some brewers like myself in the finished product. I have found that it can be due to chloramine in my tap water. I use spring water to actually brew with but I do clean and sanitize with my tap water which I found has 3.2 for the water report value for chloramine. I have also seen camp seen tablets as a good way to fix this issue but most post reference their use in the actual brewing water...so my question is even though I use spring water to brew would the use of my tap water to clean and sanitize possibly allow for the taste? I use star San to sanitize and pbw to clean. Also to add, this really seems to come through with beer that calls for spice additions at flameout. I thought maybe it was because I use spices in the pantry..so really not considered fresh but not sure. Anyway..I think I have provided about all I can think of that may be a factor but if there is something else to consider I'm all ears. Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

It's unlikely that the use of your tap water for cleaning is the problem and your cleaning/sanitizing products are fine. Go over your clean & sanitation procedures to be sure you are not missing something there. If any of your plastic parts like tubes, buckets, spigots are either very old or have bad scratches that could harbor unwanted microbes get rid of them. The plastic taste (sounds like phenolics) could be coming from a fermentation issue. Is your yeast fresh and viable? Are the fermentation temperatures in the proper range? Stressed or contaminated yeast can produce unwanted byproducts as can yeast fermenting at too high a temperature.

If you use a hose to get your water, it could be from that. My first two brews fell victim to that...

I use a chest freezer and a Johnson control so I feel good about my fermentation temps. I also verify my yeast dates and don't use anything older than 3 months max and I always make a starter with wyeast or white labs...just depends on what my local brew shop has. I do use the hose outside often to just fill my carboys and such to sanitize or clean...I had thought that could be an issue. My hoses are maybe a year old that I use for transfer...less for my high temp hoses. I also am all grain...not sure I mentioned it or if it makes any diff.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I would try to avoid using a hose and go from there. Just use a gallon jug or big pitcher and collect right from your tap. That's my best guess.

Back