Planning a BCBS-inspired brew and small beer - critique requested

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dtwhite

Reaction score
Working from a recipe I put together from multiple sources to replicate the grain bill and flavor from Bourbon County Brand Stout, I put together the following recipe (Russian Imperial Bourbon Stout). Note: my "fermenter volume"s are really kettle volumes, and I will only be transferring ~6 gallons to the fermenter, leaving much of the trub behind.

Code:
HOME BREW RECIPE:
Title: RIBS
Author: adapted from BCBS recipes

Brew Method: All Grain
Style Name: Russian Imperial Stout
Boil Time: 90 min
Batch Size: 7.29 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 9.54 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.087
Efficiency: 65% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.114
Final Gravity: 1.027
ABV (standard): 11.46%
IBU (tinseth): 69.86
SRM (morey): 40

FERMENTABLES:
23 lb - American - Pale 2-Row (65.2%)
7.5 lb - German - Munich Light (21.3%)
20 oz - American - Roasted Barley (3.5%)
20 oz - American - Chocolate (3.5%)
20 oz - American - Caramel / Crystal 60L (3.5%)
16 oz - German - De-Husked Caraf III (2.8%)

HOPS:
2 oz - Warrior, Type: Pellet, AA: 16, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 59.69
2 oz - Willamette, Type: Pellet, AA: 4.5, Use: Boil for 20 min, IBU: 10.17

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Temperature, Temp: 147 F, Time: 90 min, Amount: 12.5 gal, 160.2
Starting Mash Thickness: 1.42 qt/lb

OTHER INGREDIENTS:
3 oz - Bourbon-soaked oak cubes, Type: Flavor, Use: Secondary

YEAST:
White Labs - California Ale Yeast WLP001
Starter: No
Form: Liquid
Attenuation (avg): 76.5%
Flocculation: Medium
Optimum Temp: 68 - 73 F
Fermentation Temp: 67 F
Pitch Rate: 1.0 (M cells / ml / deg P)

NOTES:
Need ~650B yeast cells.

This recipe has been published online at:
http://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/209377/ribs

My normal efficiency is 80% and I adjusted that down to 65%, which I think is a conservative estimate for the loss in efficiency from so much grain, even though I still have 1.42 qt/lb. But, I realized that there's still going to be a lot of good stuff left in the grain, so I decided to try and make my first small beer from that:

Code:
HOME BREW RECIPE:
Title: Baby Back RIBS
Author: a terrible idea

Brew Method: All Grain
Style Name: American Stout
Boil Time: 120 min
Batch Size: 5.5 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 8.5 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.029
Efficiency: 15% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.044
Final Gravity: 1.010
ABV (standard): 4.43%
IBU (tinseth): 37.71
SRM (morey): 40

FERMENTABLES:
23 lb - American - Pale 2-Row (61.7%)
7.5 lb - German - Munich Light (20.1%)
20 oz - American - Roasted Barley (3.4%)
20 oz - American - Chocolate (3.4%)
20 oz - American - Caramel / Crystal 60L (3.4%)
16 oz - German - De-Husked Caraf III (2.7%)
1 lb - Brown Sugar (2.7%)
1 lb - German - Smoked Malt (2.7%)

HOPS:
2 oz - Willamette, Type: Pellet, AA: 4.5, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 37.71

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Temperature, Temp: 150 F, Time: 90 min, Amount: 9 gal, 150
Starting Mash Thickness: 1.5 qt/lb

YEAST:
White Labs - California Ale Yeast WLP001
Starter: No
Form: Liquid
Attenuation (avg): 76.5%
Flocculation: Medium
Optimum Temp: 68 - 73 F
Fermentation Temp: 67 F
Pitch Rate: 1.0 (M cells / ml / deg P)

NOTES:
second runnings from RIBS

This recipe has been published online at:
http://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/210823/baby-back-ribs

I am adding 1 lb of smoked malt and 1 lb of brown sugar to the existing grain to get a little bit of a different flavor and up the gravity. I chose 15% efficiency thinking that is a reasonable estimate for what might be remaining in the grain. Should I alter that estimation?

Any other suggestions? Is the mash temperature alright for a beer that thick? Should I be doing the 12-hour extra dose of O2?

How'd this turn out? Do you think Goose Island uses 001 as their yeast?

Smoked malt is a bad idea for this ...there is an awesome bcbs thread you need to read through

How'd this turn out? Do you think Goose Island uses 001 as their yeast?

It turned out great, and I'm actually planning a second brew of it very soon. I might tone down the IBUs slightly but it's good at the level I chose as well (68). I'm having trouble getting the bottles to carbonate - I would recommend using champagne yeast at bottling. The beer ended up around 13% alcohol thanks to some fantastic attenuation and even with adding fresh US-05 at bottling, I think all the yeast just killed itself.

As for whether or not 001 is the correct yeast - it's hard to say. This is a very flavorful beer and the yeast character would have to be off the charts to taste it among all the roasted malts and booze. In the real BCBS I can't really taste yeast character and I can't in mine, either. I think 001 works but if you are capable of getting good attenuation with any other yeast I'm sure they'd work fine too. There's almost zero chance that a midwestern brewery like Goose Island uses the west coast 001 as their yeast, but I have no idea. I think 090, US-05, or any other reasonably clean and well-attenuating yeast would work.

Here's a link to the completed recipe: http://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/209377/ribs

Smoked malt is a bad idea for this ...there is an awesome bcbs thread you need to read through

The smoked malt was just for the small beer, not in the normal BCBS-type beer. I ended up scrapping the small beer anyway, but trust me, I know smoked malt would be pretty terrible in the main imperial stout.

Did you actually perform a decoction or did you just raise the temperature of the entire mash? I BIAB and to mashout, I just bring the entire kettle up to temperature.

Looks like a nice recipe though. I've been thinking about brewing another beer that can sit for a while once bottled and I love BCBS so this might be good to do

I didn't do a true decoction, per se, but I did remove some liquid and bring it to a boil before adding it back. I've got a different setup now and I can actually increase the mash temperature with direct heat, so I'd probably do that now.

Back