Pitching over yeast cake

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spittybug

Reaction score
Need some quick advice... I currently have an Irish Stout in the fermenter (done, just need to cold crash). It is ~35 IBU, Nottingham yeast. This coming Wednesday were brewing up a big (1.080 OG) Scottish Wee Heavy. I'm thinking that since I need to build up a pretty big starter for our 10 gallons that I may as well just pitch right on top of the yeast cake of the Irish Stout. It too was 10 gallons and will be cold crashed into the conical bottom. Looking for input as to any flavor differences I may expect from using the Nottingham over the planned S05. I may dump the yeast into a mason jar so that I can give the fermenter a rinse down and to ensure that I don't shock the yeast if my wort is a little warmer than I want (Houston cooling water is just too warm - I use the fridge for the last 10 to 20 degrees before pitching). Thanks.

It should work well. To my experience, Nottingham is a bit cleaner than 05, but if that is what you're after, than you should be fine.

Be aware that Nottingham is a blend of two strains, so the ratio between those two might have shifted a bit but I guess that reusing it one time should be ok.

Well, ingredients bought and Irish Stout is crashing. Collection jar is mounted on bottom. Countdown to Wednesday's brew day.

Good golly o'Molly!!! The Nottingham took the 1.080 down to 1.008 in 10 days, most of it in the first 2! Sitting at about 90% attenuation. Now cold crashing and upon my return (I monitor via Tilt and Google Sheets on the web) I will be ready to keg. This wee heavy may just make you go wee, wee, wee, wee, thud. BTW, the previous beer, the Guinness clone has had it's dosing of lactic and prior to carb/nitro tasted like the real McCoy. One of my go-to recipes.

Latest posts

Back