Pitching onto a yeast cake tips?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhorgan1

Reaction score
So this morning when I got to work I panicked cause I thought "oh $hit I forgot to make a yeast starter for my 8.6% beer I'm making tonight". Then I remembered I'm also planning on racking another beer to secondary for dryhopping that uses the same yeast! So for the first time ever I'm going to try to rack onto a yeast cake.
So... do you guys have any suggestions? I assume I dont need to sanitize the bucket with yeast in it otherwise I would wash away the yeast. Should I stir after racking onto the yeast? Should I try to splash the wort as I pour it into the bucket? Any suggestions would be awesome

I racked a smaller beer on to a yeast cake on saturday, and it blew the lid off the fermenter twice within 5 hours of pitching, even with a small blowoff.

Last weekend I poured my wort onto a yeast cake from a previous batch. All I did was rack the beer off the yeast cake for bottling , put the lid back on and left it alone until the new batch was chilled. When the new beer was ready to go in the fermenter, I just poured it very splashily on top of the yeast cake. No problems. I do agree that for a bigger beer you might consider using a larger blowoff tube instead of an airlock.

nukebrewer said:
Last weekend I poured my wort onto a yeast cake from a previous batch. All I did was rack the beer off the yeast cake for bottling , put the lid back on and left it alone until the new batch was chilled. When the new beer was ready to go in the fermenter, I just poured it very splashily on top of the yeast cake. No problems. I do agree that for a bigger beer you might(need) consider using a larger blowoff tube instead of an airlock.

Plus if you have another bucket you could just scope out the proper amount of slurry to pitch into the new beer

chuckstout said:
Plus if you have another bucket you could just scope out the proper amount of slurry to pitch into the new beer

I was thinking about doing that, but I was so tired by that point that I forgot. Had my sanitized measuring cup ready and everything.

Well I think I managed to rack the wort onto the yeast cake alright cause not even 45 minutes after I did not I started hearing bubbling from underneath my desk. Now its going nuts! I gotta do this more often

I gotta do this more often

I pretty much do it every other batch.
rack into a secondary while I'm boiling the next batch and pitch right on the full cake. after that batch I clean the carboy and start with new yeast.

Never experienced any of the evils of over pitching people talk about.

I pretty much do it every other batch.
rack into a secondary while I'm boiling the next batch and pitch right on the full cake. after that batch I clean the carboy and start with new yeast.

Never experienced any of the evils of over pitching people talk about.

What are theses supposed evils that people are claiming?

I think that the thinking is that there are flavors that develop during yeast growth phase. If you over-pitch, that phase is shortened or non-existant. I alway just scoop out the appropriate amount (using Mr. Malty's calculator). Its surprising how little of the cake you are "supposed" to use.

That said, many folks have great luck just dumping on top of a cake. I've never done it so I can only talk about what I do.

Back