Pitching on top of cider yeast cake/lees

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phunhog

Reaction score
Hey guys....Finally got around to making my first cider after making beer for years. I used WL 007 after reading an article in Zymurgy. Any issues pitching on top of either a full or partial cider yeast cake? How about rinsing the yeast instead like we do for beer?

What I've read is that the yeast have now been conditioned to only ferment simple sugars (that's all that's in cider), and will have a harder time with the more complex sugars from a mash. This is why you make starters with DME, not table sugar. I'm not sure if the problem is just a super low attenuation or if they throw off flavors when trying to digest the malt-sugars.

I sort of want to try it, though, to see what would happen. It'd also be good to have a super low attenuating yeast for making malty session beers--you can keep some body but still have low enough alcohol to chug away.

I should've explained more....planning on making another cider. Not beer.

tennesseean_87 makes a good point. I would amplify that a bit by saying that beer and ale yeasts are developed to deal with complex sugars while wine and cider yeasts are developed to metabolize simple sugars. Using beer and ale yeast to make cider is like using vice grips instead of the right size socket to break a stubborn nut. Yes, vice grips like duct tape and baling wire are indispensable tools for non-mechanics or people stuck in a ditch but to make better cider, dig deeper in your tool chest for the right tool or even better, let nature take its course.

Any issues pitching on top of either a full or partial cider yeast cake? How about rinsing the yeast instead like we do for beer?

Go for it, I've been doing it for years without any issues. I do try to keep my cider fermenters in the high 50'sF and a big dose of yeast from the previous batch helps the fermentation stay healthy. After the second run, I'll usually split the yeast cake and use it for two carboys. Most yeast strains are good for at least 5, 6 or even seven runs, maybe more, I Usually run out of cider apples or time to press them before I hit 6 runs.
Note: Some yeasts just aren't any good for cider, nothing is going to improve if you use it again. I've had poor results with Saison yeast, Nottingham, and London ale. Others have had good results with these, that's why I tried them. Your results will be different depending on what kind of apples you are starting with and several other factors.

Back