Pitching on a yeast cake

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goosegrease

Reaction score
Good morning!
I plan on brewing a kolsch using WLP 029. Anyone see an issue with racking a batch of helles onto the yeastcake? I have never had a sanitation issue, so I don't foresee that as a problem. Opinions welcome.
Thanks,
Jim

Technically, you are over-pitching by a lot. But plenty of us have done it and lived to tell about it. If you're OK with the yeast choice, then go with it. It won't be a true helles lager.

Dump out 3/4 of it. That'll be closer to a good pitch rate.

I am looking to make a hybrid helles, with that in mind, do you think it will be appropriate? What are the dangers of over pitching yeast?
Thanks,
Jim

If I'm going slightly darker, racking to secondary the same time as I'm boiling.
I'll frequently pitch on the cake.

break the cycle after that second batch for sanitation sake.

I've done it that way, dumping out about half the cake and racking onto it, it ferments like crazy but the beers turned out pretty well, as far as yeast flavors go. Both were with Wyeast 1056. One was a high-gravity, the other was a 1.050 or something like that.

Back