Pitching harvested yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoppypoppy

Reaction score
I recently brewed a 2.5 gallon batch and pitched a whole vile of WLP001 without a starter. I then harvested the yeast in 1 pint and half pint mason jars. I am a newbie so I am doing 2.5 gallon batches to experiment, learn, plus my fermentation cooler only holds small vessels.

If I pitch the 1 pint mason jar or a half pint mason jar do I need a starter for a 2 - 2.5 gallon batch? Also how do you measure the volume of liquid yeast when 95% of the mason jars are water?

Viability decreases over time.

After two weeks I like a starter. If I get lazy I'll pitch more rather than make a starter (considering decreased viability), but a starter is better.

Check out the yeast washing sticky

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Home Brew mobile app

Viability decreases over time.

After two weeks I like a starter. If I get lazy I'll pitch more rather than make a starter (considering decreased viability), but a starter is better.

Check out the yeast washing sticky

I followed that yeast washing stickie to a T. It's a great! My harvested yeast came out nice and clean, almost No noticeable trub on most of the jars.

Since I haven't done a starter and brewing a small batch I was
Hoping I could get away without doing a starter. It will probably be just past two weeks when I brew my next batch.

Mr Malty calculator (http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html) is a good resource. You can decant off most of the liquid after a day.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Just checked out mr malty calc and it's great. I've heard about it but I've always brewed beers under 6% abv so I've just used a whole smack pak or liquid vile without really doing any math.

It will be my resource for calculating yeast pitching rates.

Cheers!

I followed that yeast washing stickie to a T. It's a great! My harvested yeast came out nice and clean, almost No noticeable trub on most of the jars.

Since I haven't done a starter and brewing a small batch I was
Hoping I could get away without doing a starter. It will probably be just past two weeks when I brew my next batch.

I would pitch it without a starter, just a bit more than calculated. Yeah, a starter is better since it gives you more accurate numbers, but once you pitch slurries for a bit you will begin to learn what to expect and the starter becomes less important.

Remember, some strains store better than others.

I just reread the OP. You'll be fine after two weeks with 001. That strain does well in storage.

When I say add a bit more than calculated I mean just a little. at two weeks I would add 10 mil/ml, at three weeks maybe add 25 mil/ml. This is assuming optimal storage. Beware, If you heavily overpitch your beer will suck.

Back