Pitching a starter while active (high krausen)...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, the gravity mismatch shouldn't be a problem as long as your starter has plenty of maltose in it.

I like to build my starters a couple days in advance with DME at an OG of 1.040. I cold crash the starter a night or two before brewday. After I've cooled my wort to pitching temps and filled my fermenter, I decant the liquid off the top of my yeast starter and replace it with 1 to 2 liters of fresh wort taken from the fermenter (I use the spigot on the bottom of my Speidel). I put the starter back on the stir plate with the fresh wort for 2 to 4 hours, by which time I usually have a vigorous fermentation going on. I then pitch the whole active starter into the fermenter.

+1 I only pitch at high kraeusen the couple of times I've had fermentation problems. Once was to finish a very high gravity beer, don't think it worked. Still waiting.

+1 I only pitch at high kraeusen the couple of times I've had fermentation problems. Once was to finish a very high gravity beer, don't think it worked. Still waiting.

I'm confused. So you had fermentation problems when you pitched at high kraeusen?

maybe i'm reading it wrong.

The last two starters I made, I made them about 4 days before brew day. The ESB I brewed, I went an extra day or to so the krausen in the starter would drop. That thing took off like a rocket.

The last batch I made took off fast too, but not like the ESB. That starter sat in the fridge for about a week because I starterd making the starter a day or two earlier and my Brew Day got delayed a couple of days later. Will a starter sitting in the fridge that long hurt it?

If that ever happened again, should I leave the foam stopper in the flask, or cover it with sanitized foil? Sorry OP if this is off topic.

I'm confused. So you had fermentation problems when you pitched at high kraeusen?

maybe i'm reading it wrong.

I think he means he had fermentation problems (stuck), so he tried making a starter, and pitching it when it was at high krausen. The yeast is really active then, and can sometimes help finish off a ferment that's stuck/stalled/slow

I dont like pitching my yeast at high krausen because you have to pitch the entire starter volume. I like to be able to decant my starters. I dont need a full 2000ml of oxygenated, warm fermented wort going into my beer

I dont like pitching my yeast at high krausen because you have to pitch the entire starter volume. I like to be able to decant my starters. I dont need a full 2000ml of oxygenated, warm fermented wort going into my beer

when I've done this, I didn't make my starter as normal with shaking/stirring, but let it sit at fermentation temperature, and added the whole thing once it hit high krausen. This way, you get the active yeast without all the off flavors. I also made a smaller volume since I was looking to finish out a ferment that stopped a bit short of target FG, not ferment a whole batch of wort at OG.

Back