Pitched yeast at too low of a temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtb178

Reaction score
Suffice to say I had a rough brew day yesterday, which ended with me leaving the fermentation bucket out to chill a bit longer than necessary. My wort ended up at around 64 when I pitched my starter of WLP410.

I know now this yeast likes 66+, ramping up to ~75. As of now, is there anything I can do? Should I shake the fermenter? Add more yeast? Wait and hope for the best?

Let's hope this beer turns into beer. Thanks.

You should be just fine. A lot of people like to pitch on the cooler side and let fermentation free rise the temp. I'd do nothing, to maybe moving it to a warmer spot in your house. If you look at White labs website it says "allow temps to free rise" 64F while a touch cooler should rise nicely into that 67-70F range once fermentation kicks off, which it will albiet maybe a little more slowly.

You should be fine so don't worry. If you don't see any activity after ~27 hours give it a good swirl and shake to get the yeast in suspension. If you aren't getting any activity in your airlock immediately after shaking then warm it up to 66 or 67 and it should take off. If all else fails give it another does of pure O2. This yeast loves...and needs plenty of oxygen.

Airlock activity is not an indicator of fermentation per se. Plus it can have a lag time up to 72hrs so don't worry. I say forget about it for 2 to 3 weeks then take a gravity reading.

Thanks everyone. I moved it to a warmer spot, where it's ramping up to 71-72.

I'll keep the oxygen in mind; I didn't do a great job aerating this time. I also split the batch into two fermenters, as I want to dry hop half. Figure I won't be seeing much airlock activity, given the large clearance space.

I always pitch few degrees cooler and then let it rise to fermentation temperature within next 24 hrs.
This way you will get more controlled growth and less off flavors, if that is not what you aim for.

I wouldn't bother to use more oxygen. It can actually have adverse effects after fermentation has started. Let er ride!

Back