Pitched Wyeast 1007 in Oktoberfest at wrong temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewinSoldier

Reaction score
As the title states, I'm making a 10 gallon batch of octoberfest that I brewed on Friday. I made a 2 liter starter of yeast with two packs of 1007 to hit the proper yeast pitch rate. I made an idiot move and totally forgot to look at the yeast pack to see fermentation temps. I figured an octoberfest is an ale so I pitched at 68°, and it's sat there until an hour ago(so about a day and a half fermenting at 68°), and I for some reason decided to look at the temp range online because of the smell coming out of the blowoff. Of course u see it's supposed to be fermented way lower. I just bumped the temp down to 60° hoping it will finish off smoothly but there already wasn't any action going on in the blowoff. It was pretty vigorous the last day. I need to take a gravity check to see where it's at though.

Will starting at 68° for 1.5-2 days then bumping to 60° have a negative affect on the beer? Should I lower it again down to 55° once it stablizes at 60° in an hour or so or leave it at 60°?

I would honestly just leave it at 65-68. It's within that yeast's temp range, and lowering the temp at this point just increases the chance the yeast will stall out without providing any real flavor benefit.

The thing that worries me is Ive read a bunch of people posting of getting burnt rubber smells and tastes using 1007 at higher temps. The package says frutier esters at higher temps which 68° is the highest recommended temp.

Last edited:
The thing is, most off flavors from yeast at warm temps comes within initial fermentation. So whatever effect it will have is done. I agree with @MrPowers that turning down the temp once fermentation had started is just likely to stall fermentation.

Take notes on fermentation temp and times. If it turns out great, do it the same way again. If it turns out junk, at least you know what to attribute it to.

Yeah I just checked it and I'm already down to 1.014 with a final estimated gravity of 1.012. I started at 1.048 so the yeast already tore through in a day and a half and what's done is done. All I can do now is keep my fingers crossed and hope all I end up with is some fruitier esters instead of the burnt rubber. It's a $75 batch so I really don't want to dump it.

Latest posts

Back